Help sick chicken

tdc1999

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 1, 2013
Oklahoma
I don't know what is going on. I have a Buff Orphington that started laying eggs around the first of December, and everything was fine. About 3 days ago she did nothing but sit in the nest, no eggs and never got down to eat or drink that I ever saw. Her eyes are bright and she seems alert but tired. I have put her down in front of food and she will eat, but she eats then jumps back up in the nest. Her feathers seem loose and she is all puffed up. Out of 31 birds this is my first sick acting bird, and I would hate to lose her. Any suggestions would help!!!!!!

images

She could be broody. Does she growl at you when you try to move her out of the nest box! Does she bite at you if you reach under her? Does she cluck and cluck when you take her out of the nest box? If she does even one of these things, chances are she has gone broody. Broodies just want to set in the nest box. On eggs or no eggs at all.

If she has any other symptoms that you can find, you might post this question in the emergency section here of the forums...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

Enjoy BYC!

Welcome to BYC!
welcome-byc.gif
We're glad to have you. Sorry to hear about your possibly sick hen. I'm sure you'll get some help if you post in the Emergencies/Diseases/Injuries/Cures section.

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us! I'm sorry that your hen isn't acting right; it does sound like she might be broody (common in Buff Orps). I would recommend posting this in the Emergencies section of this forum.

Welcome to BYC. When you take her off the nest does she squawk, puff up, cluck excessively, pass large smelly feces? All of these are signs of a broody hen. Just natures way of providing for the next generation.

She sounds broody which means she wants to hatch her eggs. Broodies may have to be forced to leave the nest at least once a day so they will eat, drink and potty . They are very protective of their eggs and eventual chicks - and will puff up, growl, bite etc. if they are disturbed. It's a very natural thing and it isn't an illness.

Back
Top Bottom