help sick chickens

Yeah it sounds like a bad case of coccidiosis... that would be my guess too. The coccidia are a parasite that causes bleeding from the intestines. With the birds I have treated I noticed how much their feathers hid the truth... they lose a lot of weight. I have saved very few birds that had this. My best defense was to notice the type of droppings they were having. If you can catch it early you can help. When it advances it is not easy to save them. They will open their mouth wide and huff for air it seems. This parasite goes into or is in the dirt so it becomes a constant balance. I have heard of an old farmers manual that offered a ratio to feed recipe that used common sulphur garden dust. You can over dose them! The amprolium is a sulphur based medicine and is a safer option. The dose of 1 tsp. per gallon works for treating a flock in the early stages of this. For a bird that will hardly eat or drink you will need to determine her weight and the dose per pounds of weight and give it to her CAREFULLY and SLOWLY using a drench type method using a small amount of water. That is the only way to save a bird that is this ill. You will see a turn around with a day if the bird is saveable. After you know they are going uphill continue the treatment for a week. You can give a vitamin electrolyte mix also in the water.Often an animal that is ill is not eating or drinking normally and the cause of death will be from dehydration. When everything is done and you are back to normal give probiotics or apple cider vinegar in the water. Also remember it does not hurt to deworm them. I found a very nice all natural one called STRIKE III,herbal not chemical. Good news too... if you do lose birds ...keep your chin up as it is soon spring and raising new birds from chicks is a doable fun option. Their are so many chickens with great personality waiting to find a place in your coop and your heart. Cheers and good luck!
woot.gif
highfive.gif

Yeah ... try corid. But syringe the dose in a small amount of water according to the package.... per pounds dose.Slow and gentle.Follow instructions and dose her like this for 7 days.When an animal is ill they are usually like us.. do not feel good ... don't want to eat or drink. That said it is important to get that bird hydrated and then eating. Try picking up one of your healthy birds for a reference point then pick up an ailing one. If she has been ill for a bit she will be a bit lightweight. Try electrolytes in a small amount of water with syringe. Dehydration causes a lot of chaos in ill mammals and often will kill the mammal before the disease does. So it is important. Signs of dehydration... lethargic, disoriented, dizzy, holding head crooked. walking zig zag. It will also accelerate a lack of appetite. You could try a small amount of cooked oatmeal. Serve it hot but not so much that she burns herself. When an animal has not eaten in a while it can be hard to coax them to eat. They often love the oatmeal ! Just keep in mind to give her something with more substance as soon as possible. She cannot survive on oatmeal alone for long. If the corid does not work ask your vet or feed store for a different sulphur based drug. And when these problems show up I usually give the rest of my birds a deworming and the same medicine in a preventative dose... again it is on the package. Clean your coop , yard and all feeders and waterers. Check feed for signs of spoilage and throw it away if bad. Only give what they will eat in a short time.
caf.gif

Last edited:
Sorry I did reply twice now but it got bumped to a second page ???? Look at page 2!
highfive.gif

Last edited:
Ok I bought corid today and put it in their water.they are eating and drinking fine.

Thanks for all the help

Hey guys! I have sick chicken and I don't know what's wrong with her. Her comb has shriveled up some her wattles look prunie. Comb and wattles are very black and grayish looking. She's distancing herself from the rest of the flock. Can anyone help me?

It may be black comb or something. I'm not quite sure how to treat though.

She got some of her color back. We wormed our flock yesterday to be on the safe side. It was time they were wormed anyway. But today she has went on the nest to go broody, I think. Now, my question is was she sick or going broody? And, can she set on these eggs that have been wormed?

Back
Top Bottom