help sick chickens

kealoni

In the Brooder
Dec 14, 2016
I have 3 chickens bleeding from the vent, I woke up one morning she was dead and she had a bloody vent she was acting fine the night before. they are still laying , could it be coccidiosis, please help I am deseperate

I recommend "The Chicken Health Handbook" by Gail Damerow (if u don't already have it) it explains everything about diseases care etc. I'm not sure what it is... I'll try an look it up though. I'm very sorry for your loss, it sounds scary...the bleeding thing
1f62c.png

Bleeding from the vent? Do they have bloody poop? Sounds odd but their poop is usually your earliest warning sign. They cant talk and by the time you guess there is a problem it can be pretty out of hand. Chickens are hardy but the are also fragile and when things go to far often they will not return to being thrifty once again. Again I will echo it . Proper bedding maintinance. I m all for letting it mellow.. but if you have disease you may want to consider clean up of everything and starting fresh ... bedding/ new, scrub coop, scrub feeders and waterers etc.

When you say bloody vent are you saying the vent flesh itself was raw and bloody (ie pecked) or that there was blood deposited on the feathering around the vent area which would have come from an internal source? Very different possible causes for each.

There are two types of coccidiosis, cecal and intestinal. There are usually affected at a young age, so I don't know if yours are affected because I don't know the age. My book says that bleeding in the vent Is a early stage for coccidiosis. The treatment should be, 1 teaspoon of amprolium (20%) per gallon drinking water for five days, anabiotic treatment guards against secondary infection. For treatment with a vitamin supplement (especially A and K); so survivors are immune but may never be as productive as an infected birds

The prevention- treat chicks (if you have any) to 16 weeks of age with medicated starter or coccidiostat in drinking water, according to directions on the label.

I'm still not sure if it coccidiosis, but I'm just throwing it out there.

Back
Top Bottom