Help! Sick chickens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by redhd077, Mar 26, 2015.

1. redhd077

redhd077 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    south eastern, ID
    I lost two chickens last week and i have two more that don't look that great. The ones that died and the two I have in isolation all have/had poopy butts. The ones that dies got very lethargic and once they were dead or almost dead they had snot looking stuff coming out thier beaks. One of the chickens I have in isolation kinda acts egg bound but she does have the poopy butt. Any ideas what I could be?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    With thick nasal secretions, you could be dealing with coryza or MG. There could be other issues such as coccidiosis or enteritis, or other problems. If it were me, I would send a chicken into the state vet for a necropsy. Here is a link for your state vet: http://www.usaha.org/Portals/6/StateAnimalHealthOfficials.pdf

3. redhd077

redhd077 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    south eastern, ID
    So I've put down two more chickens that had the poopy butts, lethargic, and I notice they are really bloated. Does that help anyone help me identify what it is? Could it be worms? I've never wormed before. We let them free range on two plus acres. We live in Idaho so it's not warm and moist all year. Any idea?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by