HELP! Sick duckling

marylyndon

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 19, 2014
Hi! I have been given two ducklings as a gift and one of them has suddenly stopped walking this morning, it doesn't seem to be able to stands on its feet as it collapses when I put it down. It still eats and drinks, but in very small quantities, it's shaking a bit and it keeps opening and closing its beak very fast, as if gasping. Is it a case of broken leg/legs? I cannot see anything broken or swollen, but then again, I am unsure what to look for. I am taking it to a vet after Easter, but what can I do in the meantime? I would appreciate any help!

Hi! I have been given two ducklings as a gift and one of them has suddenly stopped walking this morning, it doesn't seem to be able to stands on its feet as it collapses when I put it down. It still eats and drinks, but in very small quantities, it's shaking a bit and it keeps opening and closing its beak very fast, as if gasping. Is it a case of broken leg/legs? I cannot see anything broken or swollen, but then again, I am unsure what to look for. I am taking it to a vet after Easter, but what can I do in the meantime? I would appreciate any help!

Are your ducklings about this size ???

Ducks need a substantial amount of water to eat and just to play in ....

Water foul also need very high protein feed so I use Turkey Grow with 20% + protein to aid in growth and also it is just above a powder so they eat it so much better then other feeds on the market ....

Did you put any Probiotic & Electrolytes in the drinking water
thumbsup.gif

Also if you have any egg's in the house boil one up and remove the shell and mash up really good then serve now the egg has everything to create a chick so it also has everything a chick needs for good health ....

Do you have any idea how old your chick is or a photo of the little guy ..

Bob & Aflack both over 3 years old ....

gander007
old.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom