Help! Sick Goose, New goose owner

Farmchick85

Hatching
Jul 31, 2016
Please help! My 4 month old Chinese/Toulouse cross is not feeling well:( She has crusty eyes, clear nasal discharge off and on, seems very weak when she walks. She is eating and drinking on her own, I am a new goose mom and don't know what else to do to help her. Any help is GREATLY APPRECIATED

Please help! My 4 month old Chinese/Toulouse cross is not feeling well:( She has crusty eyes, clear nasal discharge off and on, seems very weak when she walks. She is eating and drinking on her own, I am a new goose mom and don't know what else to do to help her. Any help is GREATLY APPRECIATED
@Farmchick85 How is your goose doing today, very sorry no one has answered your thread.

Have you tried ACV in her water they will wash their face and it can help with some bacteria.You might want to pick up an antibiotic also if you aren't seeing nay improvement or she is worse. @casportpony any suggestions on meds.1-2 tablespoons of ACV to 1 gallon of water in a bucket

Last edited:
I hope your goose is better. I don't know what to tell you. Is the appetite and activity level is normal, putting the ACV in the water may help. Unfortunately a sick wild bird drinking from the same water can carry all kinds of thins, as well as other animals like squirrels and house cats. Listen for unusual vocalizations, which might indicate a respiratory problem. It's difficult to keep other animals out of pails and buckets or pools, especially during the summer heat. Does your goose have a means of rinsing it's eyes or is the water coming from a container where it can't rinse them effectively. Also, feeding crumbles instead of a pelletized feed can cause the nares (nostrils) to accumulate dust and may account for the nasal discharge. Make sure that it has clean water to rinse its eyes with and do what you can to prevent dust in the feed. It's almost impossible with crumble, but a means of rinsing frequently the bill as well may help. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom