Help! Sick Hen!

Mulemom

Songster
12 Years
May 8, 2007
Sacramento, CA
Hi, I have a hen that is very sick. She is weak, has diarria and her comb is purple instead of red. She has dropped a ton of weight (couldn't tell thru all the fluffy feathers, but there's nothing left of her under that). I just brought her in the house and she's in a dog crate in my bathroom. Feeding her cocketel mix and trying to get her to drink water. I have some vitamin drops that I have for my dove, and it says they are for all birds, so I'm going to put some in her water.

What else can I do? She's about 6 yrs old, so I suppose it could just be her time, but she is my favorite hen from the very first chicks I ever had. Can anybody help Lucy?

With the purple comb I am thinking that your hen is in heart failure. I'm so sorry
hugs.gif
Keep her hydrated, comfy and try and get some food into her. Maybe make a mash out of crumbles, yogurt and water. If she won't eat, maybe you could hand feed this to her. The vitamins will make her feel better, also. Maybe a baby aspirin in a cup of water will help with the circulation problems.

She's eating just fine. She ate everything I gave her at first. I put some more broccoli in there that she hasen't eaten, but she had already settled in for the night. I'll check in here in the morning and see if anyone else has responded. NeOnchicken sounds like she could be on to something. Most of what I can find talks about cocciciosis in chicks. Can it still happen in an old hens?

Has your weather been very hot and wet? If so, there is a possibility that a coccidia overload is present. Normally, an older bird will have developed immunity. However, if there is an underlying medical condition present, Coccidiosis could be a secondary infection. It won't hurt to treat her but, I don't believe that is your hen's number one problem.

It's been over 100 degrees for at least 10 days in a row. What about the rest of my flock? should I treat everyone? Will a regular feed store have what I need?
Thank you Leadwolf1 & neOnchicken. I appreciate your help!

I know that Tractor Supply carries Corid. You could call regular feed stores and ask. Most keep it in the cattle section of the store. Try that approach when asking...if you say chickens, most will try and give you Sulmet.

The heat is probably causing most of the problem, combined with age. Can you get her into the cool? A/C preferably? You can treat them all with Corid if you would like. It will not hurt them and there is no egg withdrawal period.

Back
Top Bottom