help! sick peacock

I am not good with the formula. Is the tablet that I am giving overdosing? His poo is yellow and runny. Is that blackhead for sure?
Would Amoxicillin help at all? I will try to find him tonight when I get home from work to give him another. I will pen him up tomorrow. He was easy to catch today. He is a two yr old blackshoulder. He did feel like he was thin when I got my hands on him today. I will admit that I first noticed something was not quite right with him a week ago. I guess I was just hoping that he would get better, even though I knew from everyone's experience on here that I was putting my head in the sand. I really hope he pulls through.  :fl  I will blame myself for not acting sooner if he does not make it.  :(

Does the poo look like any of these pics?

Kuntrygirl, Maybe closest to the last poo.

Casportpony, thanks for the encouraging words.

Will catch him and do the heat tonight.

Sounds like he can have a whole tablet. Right?

Casportpony, thanks for the encouraging words.

If he were mine, I'd give the whole thing. FYI, mine are sick again and I decided to give them more this time. Yesterday, each got a 250mg tablet, which is way more than 30mg/kg dose, but all look much better today. I also know that many of the turkey people dose at a much higher dose than the 30mg/kg. If sepsis has set in, I think a higher dose might help since you don't have any Baytril, but I am not vet, so it's up to you... I'm with you, either way.

Casportpony,  thanks for the encouraging words.

If he were mine, I'd give the whole thing. FYI, mine are sick again and I decided to give them more this time. Yesterday, each got a 250mg tablet, which is way more than 30mg/kg dose, but all look much better today. I also know that many of the turkey people dose at a much higher dose than the 30mg/kg. If sepsis has set in, I think a higher dose might help since you don't have any Baytril, but I am not vet, so it's up to you... I'm with you, either way.

What's going on with yours? Sick again? Poor babies.

I would probably go higher too Casportpony.

Yellow feces simply means something is going on with the liver. I believe it can also be from not eating, but a large majority of the time it's from blackhead. I don't know if Ivermectin is effective against cecal worms, I have seen conflicting reports on that. Safeguard might be a better choice? Any experts want to weigh in on that?

Yellow feces simply means something is going on with the liver. I believe it can also be from not eating, but a large majority of the time it's from blackhead. I don't know if Ivermectin is effective against cecal worms, I have seen conflicting reports on that. Safeguard might be a better choice? Any experts want to weigh in on that?
I'm no expert, but all but one vet has told me to use fenbendaloze (Safeguard for Goats/Cattle), and anything I have read, published by Dr's and vets, has said to use fenbendazole. My current vet told me to dose at 50mg/kg, by mouth and repeat in ten days. PeaDaddy's vet told him to do something else, and I'm sure it works out to be the same. I'm actually tempted to do like we do with horses and give a 5 day double dose since my issues keep recurring.

These links also have info on fenbendazole:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/72234998/Plumb-s-Veterinary-Drug-Handbook-Sixth-Edition
http://www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com/avmed/cam/09_therapeutic_agents.pdf

I used to think that, too. And in peas and turkeys I still do... When you have time, check out https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...lethargic-hen-w-swollen-legs-feet-and-wattles and let me know what you think. It will be interesting to see what the final report says.

Back
Top Bottom