Help! Sick Quail.

Crofters Quail

Chirping
6 Years
Jan 28, 2015
Brisbane, Australia
I would really appreciate some advice. I have a sweet little coturnix hen who seems to have developed an unusual bald patch under each wing. Her wings seem a little droopy. She is doing a lot of mouth breathing and panting (however it is 35 degrees here in Brisbane at the moment and my other quail are also panting, I'm sure just from the heat but she seems to be panting more consistently than the others.) she also seems less agile on her feet going up and down the ramp in her set up than normal and just generally off colour.

Any ideas of what could be the trouble or what best to do? I'm also in the middle of a high risk pregnancy after having lost a few babies (human ones that is) and I feel a little unsure of doing lots of interventions (as I normally would do) if I don't know what the illness is or whether it may be a health risk to my unborn baby. Am I over worrying?

Unfortunately, the avian vet here is prohibitively expensive even just for a look never mind any treatment, any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated.

Well.. It seems to me that most of it could be explained as consequences of the heat - like holding the wings a little away from the body to allow heat to escape from the thinly feathered area under the wings. Could those 'bald patches' just be the thinly feathered areas, made more visible by her holding her wings differently? In which way are they different from her cage mates' feathering? Pictures perhaps? I'd thoroughly compare her to one of her cage mates - if you are worried about diseases, have the future daddy (or someone else) do it. There are all kinds of things out there that can cause abortion, though I don't know whether quail carry any. Check the wings, legs and bald patches in particular, look for swelling, soreness or anything that's different from the other quail, even her weight. If that doesn't reveal an explanation, perhaps try to place her and a friend in a colder place - maybe just for a few hours, see if that makes her look and behave more normal. She could just be more sensitive to the heat than the others. If that doesn't help, I'd try the full course of 'whatever might be good for her' - boiled eggs, electrolytes, probiotics, dewormer, vitamins, whatever you can get your hands on..

Many thanks DK, it's dark now so pictures might have to wait until tomorrow. Yes, I'll try the full course cocktail. Unfortunately, hubby doesn't feel confident to handle sick quail, so it's the pregnant mama who will be the quail nurse maid. Maybe I'll wear gloves and a mask :) Thanks again

Thanks dc, I don't think there is a current out break of AI but although the risks are probably negligible, aren't there a few other culprits such as toxoplasmosis, mycoplasmosis, colibacilliosis, chlamydiosis, salmonellosis etc etc which could be dangerous in pregnancy? I guess having a pregnancy that's finally going well after having lost quite a few babies makes one a bit hyper vigilant! Anyway, I'm dosing my little quail up with all the usual 'pick me ups' and hoping she'll get back to her usual self! Thanks again

if you had any heavy hitters like that running around youd have dead birds to show for it. Its a heck of a lot more likely she just has worms or something similarly simple. However im not a doctor or a vet and a baby isnt comparible in value to a coturnix so id play it safe ;)

Maybe have a neighbor come move her to a 'hospital cage' or just euthanize her?

Edit to add; when i have a sick bird i typically euthanize as i have too many other birds to risk transmission. Not the same situation but if you have to put her down i dont want you to feel bad about it :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom