Help sick silkies

luckiestck1

Songster
11 Years
Aug 13, 2012
Hi
I have 3 sick silkies, at all started when i noticed one of my new silkie pullets sneezing and few days went by and i noticed that the rooster and other pullet had all started sneezing to. I took them to the vet and was given antibiotics and was told to dose once a day for seven days. So i did that everyday for a week and they seemed a bit better for a day or 2 after but then at least 2 have started sneezing again, and they sounded a bit conjusted and now i have noticed they a mouth breathing some of the time. What is wrong with them? Help i have only had them for 3 weeks.

Silkies usually roost close to or on the ground, so they might be affected by something in their coop. Perhaps it’s something in their bedding - is it very dusty, or are you using something that’s irritating their lungs? I’ve heard some kinds of wood shavings can be harmful.
Maybe try some apple cider vinegar in their drinking water?
Hope they’re getting better soon.

It sounds like infectious bronchitis, a virus that runs it's course over about a month. It is very contagious, so it usually spreads in a flock quickly. Antibiotics won't affect it, but since secondary infections can make things worse, they may have helped to prevent them. How old are they? Grown chickens usually tolerate IB okay, but very young chicks can be more seriously ill. Keep them warm if they appear to be chilling. Do not breed them or add other chicks to your flock for at least a year, since IB can make them alll carriers for 5 months to a year. Hopefully, they will all get through this illness. Make sure to keep them eating and drinking plenty of fluids. Offer them bits of chopped egg, and a tablespoonful total of plain yogurt for all 3 added to some wet feed for probiotics.

Back
Top Bottom