Help... Sick Turkey tom

one thing i always do for chickens after being treated for worms is give them yogurt along with vitamins, don't have a clue though on turkeys. Even if the local vet doesn't see feathered friends they can still run a fecal float test on a fresh sample for you, around here that runs ya about 10.00, I was able to get enough meds needed for chickens to treat em for fairly cheap from vet. doesn't hurt to ask. Casportpony really knows their stuff

@slordaz, makes a good point about getting a fecal done. Call your vet and ask the if they can check some of his poop for coccidiosis, worms, bacteria, and yeast.

I h
Have you ever given subcutaneous fluids to a dog or cat? If so, you could try to give him some of you can convince your vet to sell you a few bags.
I have lactated ringers and have done subq fluids before. I am honestly afraid to even touch him with his crop being so full, he tenses up and I'm afraid he'll aspirate on the fluid that comes up. He's suprisingly more than willing to put up a fight.

I have lactated ringers and have done subq fluids before. I am honestly afraid to even touch him with his crop being so full, he tenses up and I'm afraid he'll aspirate on the fluid that comes up. He's suprisingly more than willing to put up a fight.
That does make matters more difficult, and I know exactly what you mean. It's very risky, but you could try to vomit him. I've only done it a few times and was very lucky each time.

one thing i always do for chickens after being treated for worms is give them yogurt along with vitamins, don't have a clue though on turkeys. Even if the local vet doesn't see feathered friends they can still run a fecal float test on a fresh sample for you, around here that runs ya about 10.00, I was able to get enough meds needed for chickens to treat em for fairly cheap from vet. doesn't hurt to ask. Casportpony really knows their stuff
I did give him some Activia yogurt and had sprinkled probiotic powder on his food and in his water and also put poultry cell in his water. His poop is so watery that it makes it difficult to collect a good sample but I'll try, im not sure I'll even get a response from my vet. today being a Sunday.

That does make matters more difficult, and I know exactly what you mean. It's very risky, but you could try to vomit him. I've only done it a few times and was very lucky each time.
I've vomited chickens before too and it turned out ok but never vomited a bird this size... Not sure how this is going to go as he's not very cooperative with being picked up... I'll see if my wife will help as she's afraid to even touch him anymore after he puked up all that fluid when she went to try to give him his pill last night.

Back
Top Bottom