help ! Sick week old silkie chick

backwoodsmamma

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 8, 2013
This morning around 10 when I left all my chicks looked and acted fine. Tonight when I got home at 5 I went to wipe chicky butts and one of my black silkies was very lethargic. I picked it up and it did have some dried poo. I clean them every night and usually 1 or 2 of the silkies needs to be cleaned. but when i tipped it forward to wash its but it regurgitated on me. at first I didn't think much of it as we raised parrots growing up and the regurgitate often. I thought perhaps it was dehydrated and dipped its beak in the water but as i pulled it away slime fell from it beak. I imeadiatly wiped away and pulled as much slime away as I could within minutes its breathing became very labored almost like it was lightly gasping. opening and closing its beak to breath. There is no mucas in nostrils or eyes but I have been holding him for over an hour and he hasn't pooped either. the area around his vent feels much harder than the others. I dont want him to dehydrate so keep dipping his beak in the water he swallows ok but wouldnt have any interest at all if i wasnt forcing it. temperature in brooder is 90-95 with plenty of food and water with pine shaving bedding. After drinking the water it seems to produce more mucas. uhg any suggestions?

Thank You! Unfortunately I put him down so I could eat my dinner and when I went back he had choked on the slime and died. :( I knew I shouldn't leave him alone even to eat.

Enjoy your babies they are so much fun.

I'm so sorry you lost your chick. When I had a problem with my Silkies having pasty butt I put ground cayenne pepper in with their feed and they didn't have any problems after that (I was told the chicks don't have heat sensors so it's not hot to them).

Back
Top Bottom