Help! Silkie attacked by skunk!

nicoleelaine

Hatching
Mar 24, 2020
Hi everyone. Long story but bare with me. I have a Silkie flock of 10 that free range. One of them, Kit, went broody while free ranging and didn't return to the coop. I looked for her for an hour and couldn't find her. We have lots of skunks, raccoons, and possums that come into our property at night so I knew they would find her. I was laying awake at 3 AM worrying about her when I heard her being attacked. I ran outside to find her being attacked by a skunk. I hit the skunk with something and it ran away. The attack went on for less than a minute, but a lot can happen in a minute.

Anyway, my husband and I found a gash on her back. We washed her as best as we could and rushed her to the local pet and bird hospital here in Austin. They sedated her and said that her wounds were on the surface and they stitched her skin back together. She has been on antibiotics and pain medication. Ever since she returned home, she has been eating and drinking well but can't walk on one leg. She tries to lift her foot more and more everyday but I'm not seeing a ton of progress. I called the vet and he said he examined her well and does not think it is broken. It has been a week and a half since the attack and she is still isolated in her carrier inside.

In this picture, this is about as high as she can lift her foot and then she sets it back down without putting much weight on it. What do yall think? Broken leg? How much more time should I give it?

Attachments

• IMG_7924.jpg
    IMG_7924.jpg
    277.2 KB · Views: 5
It could be a torn muscle or sprain.II had a hen who was attacked by dogs and she couldn't use one of her legs at all for a few days, then very little and over a few weeks she slowly regained use of that leg and ended up with only a slight limp.
I'd give her more time.

It could be a torn muscle or sprain.II had a hen who was attacked by dogs and she couldn't use one of her legs at all for a few days, then very little and over a few weeks she slowly regained use of that leg and ended up with only a slight limp.
I'd give her more time.
Thank you for your response! I am so anxious about it and probably being impatient.

Back
Top Bottom