Help! Silkie chick (5 months) is tucking her head. WHY?

Chickenfeet

Songster
11 Years
Jan 12, 2009
Cleveland, Ga.
I have a 5 month old silkie, who I've had since hatch. I went to feed today and noticed she is tucking her head down between her legs. I have never noticed it before. Any ideas? She was in the pen with her parents.
idunno.gif

Last edited:
I posted this late last night, probably after most chicken folk hit the sack. If any one has any idea why she is still tucking her head, give me few clues. I have her separated now and still tucking?
idunno.gif

Can she walk? if she is tucking and unable to walk it could be Mareks. I have heard they can get head injuries too just from a bump or peck and it causes them to hold their neck a certain way. Also info on whether she is eating and drinking amd if her poop is normal would help those with more experience to help you.
They would also probably want to know what kind of food she eats. I have seen a bird tuck from botulism too and they had watery stool.
That man they call the chicken Doctor told me what to do for it and was very helpful. The chicken survived and is doing great since.
I wish I could help more , but I have not had much experience with sick chickens so far.
Michele

I have had this happen in the past with my silkies. It occurs more often in the "crested" breeds like silkies and Polish. It is usually a Vitamin B (B-12, I believe) deficiency. You can add a powdered supplement to her water and she if she doesn't improve. Give her a while, but it should make all the difference.
Good luck!
PS - There are some other threads on this subject you might want to check out.

I have had this happen in the past with my silkies. It occurs more often in the "crested" breeds like silkies and Polish. It is usually a Vitamin B (B-12, I believe) deficiency. You can add a powdered supplement to her water and she if she doesn't improve. Give her a while, but it should make all the difference.
Good luck!
PS - There are some other threads on this subject you might want to check out.[/quo

UPDATE!! Thanks for all the information guys. When I checked on her today, she seems to be holding her head fine. Went to pick her up and she put her head between her legs. So I am leaning toward the B-12 deficiency and her own quirky defense syndrome. Off to the feed store. Thanks again guys!!!!!!!!!!
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom