Help, Silkie down

Sunqueendolls

In the Brooder
Mar 8, 2018
I have a 1 year old white silkie that has been found after running around free in the yard today to have very lethargy and a fever and cannot seem to study her breathing I believe she laid an egg even as soon as this morning or last night so she is still laying as normal but then I have just found her in the yard all of the other chickens seem to be in perfect health still just this one chicken is lying here with labored breathing sporadic movement cannot seem to hold her head up at all seems like she's dying I'm so worried how do I help her do I put coldness on her to lower her fever do I force water down her throat please help if you can I'll try and submit photos
Oh and she's losing her feathers a lot a lot of feathers are coming off she just isn't moving at all other than labored breathing and when I try and move her pick her up she kind of freaks out and spreads her wings or kicks her legs

Attachments

• 1526263842080-1104514603.jpg
    1526263842080-1104514603.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 1526263934364-1194771167.jpg
    1526263934364-1194771167.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 12
I would treat for Cocci with Corid in water. Make sure she gets some of that water . I usually take a 3cc syringe and get the point to the back of the throat.

she's losing her feathers a lot a lot of feathers are coming off she just isn't moving at all other than labored breathing and when I try and move her pick her up she kind of freaks out and spreads her wings or kicks her legs
Have you checked her over for any wounds? I've circled a place in your photos - what is that, just her dark skin showing?
Putting your location in your profile is helpful - this let's us have a clue about your weather and what type of products may be available to you.
Has she gotten into a compost pile or anything dead/rotten?

You mention that she has a fever - did you take her temperature, what is it? Chickens are very warm as it is - normal range is 105-107F. I would not put cold packs around her. If she is really running a fever, then place her in a cooler place around 75-80F and let her cool down slowly.

If your weather is very hot right now, she may be suffering from heat stress, so getting her hydrated would be the first thing to do.

The symptoms you describe can be a number of things. Taking her breed and symptoms into consideration, head injury or Marek's comes to mind, but check her closely for any lice/mites, hidden wounds and feel the abdomen for any bloat or fluid.

If you have it, Poultry Nutri-Drench direct dosed at 1cc per 3lbs of weight.
Let us know how she is.

upload_2018-5-14_8-22-1.png

I'm most sad about her sister, twins had never been apart before. I have later her in an area for the 2 of them to be alone so she can say goodbye before burial. Thanks friends.

Back
Top Bottom