Help! Silkie shaking head and making weird gasp/ hiss sound

Phoenix77

Hatching
Jan 27, 2023
This morning I noticed something is wrong with our silkie Sophia. She was extending her neck and making a weird hiss sound. She has a also shaking her head lots. She is eating and goes in and out of this behavior. I am new to chickens and would appreciate any advise on how to treat her. She is about 9 months and just started laying regularly. No lice. I haven’t noticed any worms in her poop but I’ll keep looking. Please help me help her😥 .This is a video of her this morning. TIA🙏🏽❤️

I cannot see the video. Can you upload it to YouTube with a link here? Can you look into her beak with a flashlight to see if there is anything unusual inside, such as yellow, white, or gray material, or mucus? Feel of her crop and tell us if it is empty, full and firm or puffy?

This morning I noticed something is wrong with our silkie Sophia. She was extending her neck and making a weird hiss sound. She has a also shaking her head lots. She is eating and goes in and out of this behavior. I am new to chickens and would appreciate any advise on how to treat her. She is about 9 months and just started laying regularly. No lice. I haven’t noticed any worms in her poop but I’ll keep looking. Please help me help her😥 .This is a video of her this morning. TIA🙏🏽❤️
Hello, I'm new as well and have learned quiet a bit in a short period of time. If I where to guess after watching the video. Look up gape worm. It can be treated if caught earlier enough. Also make sure to use diatomaceous earth in your coop. Helps keep the flock healthy and won't harm them. Just sprinkle it around your coop.
I also follow Becky Homestead on youtube. She premixes her food.
Hope this helps. Best of luck

Back
Top Bottom