Help! Silkie w/ Unexplained Head Movements

WonderWoman0625

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 27, 2010
Greenville/Eastern NC
I have an 8 week old buff Silkie named Geffen. Geffen is a healthy and chirpy little fella except for one thing. When he shakes his head, he has this weird head-bobbing thing he does. It normally starts when he is shaking off after a dust bath or shaking his head to break a treat into pieces. He gives it a good shake and then his head keeps on rolling back and forth uncontrollably. Sort of like a Stevie Wonder impression. (tacky, I know, but that's the best way to describe it) Maybe like an uncontrollable muscle tick?

He seems to be a sturdy little guy with no other problems. He has outlasted his other nest mates, who were weaker and died soon after delivery. When he is not doing his Stevie impression, he is the picture perfect Silkie with lots of energy and an awesome natural mohawk. Does anyone have any idea why he might have this tick? Or if this is common in Silkies?

Also, I started out with 11 Silkies and am now down to 4. I have had chicks before and raised them to adulthood, so I'm pretty sure I am doing things right. Are Silkies just a more weak or delicate breed than others? I'm falling in love with them now and naming them so I don't want my heart broken by coming home and finding another dead peeper.
Thanks!!!
Lori

I'm having the same problem. I've been told it's wry neck and to get Poly-Vi-Sol infant vitamin drops. I'm getting them today, hope this helps some.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom