Help!!! Smelly Poop, Cannot Stand Or Walk!!! Emergency! **update #47**

Quote:
Thank you...but would 3 year old chickens who were vaccinated suddenly get it? I think it usually affects younger birds? She will be four years old in May. Her breathing sounds a little snotty and I noticed her sinus area heaving a lot when she breathes. But no rattles or gasping for air.

HMMM i think any bird can get it but mostly younger birds... look around her body and make shure nothing was attacked giving her head trama? Or maybie she had a stroke? Can chickens have strokes? My grandma had a stroke a couple of years ago and had trouble with one side of her body... Just kinnda brain storming here...

I have given her a thorough checking and see no trauma of any kind....no bumps, swelling, no blood, no missing feathers, no mites, nothing....my coop is very sturdy and my runs are made from chain link dog kennel panels with hardware cloth around them....nothing hurt her externally....

To my surprise, she was alive this morning...and seemed a little more perky. She still refuses to eat but she wanted to drink A LOT. So I gave her more antibiotics mixed with Rooster Booster and then I let some crumbles soak for about 10 minutes and then she drank the water from the crumbles. She did stand up on her own, although wobbly. I also started to massage her crop and she kept shaking her head and tipping over when I did that...I am going to research "sour crop" some more...and see what I can come up with. Her crop is very squishy but it might just be all of the water & meds....it's not hard or anything and doesn't feel like it's much of anything at all in there.......

was her crop flat this morning before you fed her? usually if the crop is flat in the am then there shouldn't be a crop problem. Have you noticed a strong oder coming from her mouth? What is she like this afternoon?

glad to hear she is doing OK
smile.png
let us know whats going on with her in a bit....

also a little bump to see if anyone else can help??

Quote:
She's not eating....her crop is flat but sort of squishy at the same time...like a partially-filled water balloon.

She's still alive. I did manage to get some yogurt, soaked chick crumbles, canned cat food and scrambled egg into her over the weekend. She is only eating a few spoonfuls at once though. I had her on Duramaycin for a few days and then switched her to Sulfamadete (or something like that). It only is a 2 day dose so I'll try that. She will stand now but still can't walk or balance. She insists on keeping her neck folded like she's sleeping all of the time....

My friend 's chicken just had the exact same symptoms, lethargic, not eating, off balance, acting blind holding tail up in air. She waws eggbound x3days. Finally passed 2 rubber eggs w/in 10 min of each other. Pullet is now recuperating nicely. The antibiotics have kept her from getting infected. Insert a gloved finger with KY jelly into the vent like inserting a suppository. Hopefully u'll be able to feel the egg and with the KY remove it. Good luck.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom