Help!!! Smelly Poop, Cannot Stand Or Walk!!! Emergency! **update #47**

cochinaminamin

In the Brooder
9 Years
Dec 31, 2010
1) What type of bird , age and weight. She is a cochin (big one not bantam), she is three years old and I'm not sure how much she weighs, she's big though
2) What is the behavior, exactly. Not able to balance, trouble standing, foaming eyes (after I squirted some Vetrx into her nostrils), not eating. She will drink if I hold the water up and dip her beak in it but she's not eating at all. She is constantly trying to groom herself, acts like she cannot see well enough to eat. Her pupils are a little dilated but brown. Her comb is bright head. Her head might be a little swollen. She does not want to stand or walk at all unless I force to stand. She is very wobbly.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? I noticed her yesterday
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? No, everyone else looks perfectly fine.
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. I went to feed/water last night and she was in a nest box and did not come out to eat or drink. So I petted her and tried to get her to move. She just tipped over. sad So I grabbed her and took her out. At first I thought she was having trouble walking because her legs were asleep but she didn't get any better.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. No
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. The last time she pooped was last night and it was sort of a runny beige color, no white. Her butt has some poop on it.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? I gave her some Vitamin B rooster booster stuff and got some duramyaicin in her water. I also have some sulfa drugs but haven't tried those yet. I called the feed store and they don't have any Tylan right now but should have some next week.
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? I have to treat her myself there are no vets in our area that will see a chicken.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. N/A
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use I have a 12 x 12 coop that has a three sections. Their section is about 1/3 of the coop. There are four birds in each section, two roosts and two nest boxes. She is housed with two other hens and a rooster. All of my other birds look fine and are not showing any signs of being sick or whatever. I use deep pine shavings and their runs are sand & gravel (but covered in snow now).

Another note, I noticed her "honking" like a goose a few days back so I put some VETRX in everyone's water.

I have had all of my birds about 3 years. No new birds and a closed flock. I don't show and really just have them for eggs and pets. I got mine from IDEAL Hatchery and they were all vaccinated against MAREK's when I got them.

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif
Im sure the back yard chicken members can help, post a thread with details and someone will help, Thank you

and im sorry btw

Last edited:
Give us the following information. The more you tell us, the better we will be able to help you.

1) What type of bird , age and weight.
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use

ETA-
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif
from hawaii

also about your hen:: the really experienced peeps will be able to help you... but they are going to need lots more info. sick how??? what symptoms, behavior...pictures?? anything helps....

goodluck to you
frow.gif

I forgot to add that she's in the house now, away from everyone else. I didn't want them to pick on her. I made her some scrambled eggs and mixed in some chick starter and yogurt. She will not touch but she looks at it like she's interested. She almost is acting like she's blind???

Quote:
Hawaii sounds nice right now I am sick of winter!

I hope someone has some answers for me...my poor hen is now not wanting to stand at all.

Anyone? Where did everyone go?? She is still not eating and now will not stand on her own. If I stand her up, she will wobble back and forth. Then she tries to groom herself and almost flips over backward and uses her wing to balance.

Her comb is bright red and her head looks a little swollen. I read about ear infections in chickens but I can't for the life of me find any ears on her???

If know one responds they will soon, or you could start another post, (new one) with all the info you wrote before *copy and paste* and someone might know, sorry I cant help though I dont know much about sicknesses.

Back
Top Bottom