help! snake!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Al's Chicks, Jun 18, 2009.

1. Al's Chicks

Al's Chicks In the Brooder

May 21, 2009
    A black rat snake is in the tree stalking a cardinal's nest. I've tried to knock it with the broom but it just moves up the tree. My 6 week old chicks and 4 week old guinea's are in small pens about a hundred yard away. What should I do? Will the snake get my chicks? How do I get rid of it? Argh....this thing totally has me rattled!!

2. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    Climb up there at catch it!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] I don't know, other than to a) catch it and kill it, they aren't venomous (right?) or b) get a gun and shoot it!

If you DO decide to climb up there and try to get it, please make sure you have someone on the ground who can videotape it [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Al's Chicks

May 21, 2009
    That's funny!

I was hoping for some nice trick to get it away that didn't involve me touching it!!
    I tried to shoot it with a b.b. gun but only had 1 pellet. I can't find the extra b.b.'s.

4. chicken+quail=luv

chicken+quail=luv Songster

Nov 18, 2008
    Strawberry fields.
    Act like a chicken and peck at it, so it's afraid of your chickens. [​IMG]

I would probably bring my chickens and guinea fowl inside and cuddle with them until it goes away, but that's just me. [​IMG]

I would somehow catch it, put it in a huge bag or something, tie it, and bring it to an animal facility. Or just shoot it.

5. Al's Chicks

May 21, 2009
    Now the snake is gone and I have no idea where it is. My poor chicks would hate me if I brought them back inside. It's been raining here for days and they were so happy to go out this afternoon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: