1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

HELP! Soft shell eggs!!! :( Also, how do you tell which Chicken is laying???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by KNS360, Jul 30, 2014.

1. KNS360

KNS360 Hatching

Jun 10, 2014
    Hello!

We have 6 chickens and we just starting seeing our first eggs a couple weeks ago... Some days I'll check and there will be up to 3 eggs and some days there will only be 1.

How do you tell which girls are laying when they are all the same breed? So far we dont have any broody girls, they seem to lay the egg in the boxes and then leave

I have also found 2 eggs (on separate occasions) outside of the nesting boxes that have almost a translucent shell that is VERY soft and mushy... is there a reason for this? I had mixed in the layer/grower feed with the started feed and am towards the bottom of the tub, would this be a reason? Picking up more layer/grower feed today (my area doesnt sell just Layer feed).

Thanks for your help!!

2. ShockValue

ShockValue Songster

Jan 10, 2010
    West Sound, Washington
    I would pick up a small bag of oyster shell. Offer it in a dish and the girls will eat it if they need it. I got a gallon size baggie of it for $1.50 at the feed store so it's pretty cheap insurance to make sure they're getting all the calcium they need.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: