Help! Some of my new hatch is not eating or drinking and getting weak

PolishPoppy

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 6, 2010
I just do not know what to do, about three of our Bantams are not "getting it". And I can see they are getting weaker..they won't go take a drink or peck at the food (I have been finger tapping at both). One in fact keeps trying to eat from the beaks of others (which of course means it gets nothing) What the heck and I doing wrong!?

Oh No!!

Did you put their beaks INTO the water?? A couple times for each bird. You have to do that for sure. When they swallow they put their heads up a little and move their beaks quickly. The easiest way for me was to pick the chick up with my thumb and fingers around the whole bird and hold it above the water, then take my index finger and gently push its beak into the water. Quickly, don't drown them! I did it twice for each one. They caught on pretty quickly.

Once I was sure they had all drunk something I scattered some chick starter onto white papertowels. They didn't need help with that. But since your chicks are a lttle weak I read that once they have had something to drink their beak will be a little wet and it you gently put it in the chick starter the food will stick to it and they will eat it. I also read to make sure they drink BEFORE they eat. I waited about 5 minutes. I don't know how long is recommended exactly.

Do you have any of that grow gel on hand or electrolytes or polyvisol w/o iron? they might need that at this point

I hope someone else chimes in and good luck to your little ones. Just make sure you dip their beaks in the water, don't just point it out!

I just went through that with a RIR chick. I mixed up some sugar water and put it in a diabetic syringe without the needle. I then held the chick and dribbled or squirted it on its beak it finally drank. still wouldnt eat. I sprinkled some sugar on some light bread and moistened the bread and again held the chick and took a small portion of the bread and placed it on the beak over and over untill it ate it. Did this a couple of times and placed some with the chick starter. Within 2 days of doing this the chick is doing great.

Maybe soak the crumbles in water. Mine really like them soft. Also a little sugar in the water might help. Hope it works out.
hugs.gif
fl.gif

Assuming you can drink the tap water where you live, start the water running slowly and steadily, and hold the chick on its side so that its beak is in the stream of running water. That often gets them to drink if dipping the beaks in water does not. They will move their heads out of the stream of water after a mouthful but you can try again after a second or two. As they get stronger, they will keep their heads still and take several swallows before moving aside.

I was up till two AM trying to get them to "pick up", we did loose one (but he was our stange legged one, so I think that his chances were not great), two more seem to be OK...but Lucky (the tiniest one) is still fighting everything. The stress is killing me. I will also try with the running water under the sink.... Thank you and I will post more later on how they are doing.

Did you try moistening the crumbles with warm water? This is how I have been able to get several bantams to start eating. I, personally think the crumbles can be a bit big to the little bantams. The advantage is they get some hydration as they eat, also. This has worked for me.

No, I did not try moisening the crumbles:(...but am going to run downstairs right now and give it a try!!! (Anything - I am already attached to them and slowly giving them names...)we ultimately will only keep three of them because I do not have enough space, but we know a very nice family that lives on a few acres we will give the others to.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom