Help! Someone Accused me of selling old eggs

I think I enjoy the chickens them selves the most. The eggs are just a super awesome bonus. And it’s pretty awesome because they pay for their own feed and bedding and everything. They actually saved enough money to afford the extra wood for a brand new coop for the new ones coming in. I like how they pay for themselves. Now I just need to teach the dog how to lay eggs

Stated price around here is $4/dozen - which- when I need a new customer, is what I advertise. Once I get to know them and they're repeat, trouble free polite happy customers (I have fired customers before)- With all cartons returned- I do 3 for $10 which is most popular-- and it keeps my eggs running out the door and little need for new customers- everyone always brings the cartons back- it's usually slightly under what they'd find in the store in the 'fancy eggs' section at Walmart - and plus mine are green, blue, pink, dark brown, brown and white ... :D

Stated price around here is $4/dozen - which- when I need a new customer, is what I advertise. Once I get to know them and they're repeat, trouble free polite happy customers (I have fired customers before)- With all cartons returned- I do 3 for $10 which is most popular-- and it keeps my eggs running out the door and little need for new customers- everyone always brings the cartons back- it's usually slightly under what they'd find in the store in the 'fancy eggs' section at Walmart - and plus mine are green, blue, pink, dark brown, brown and white ... :D
That’s what I do too. I Call it a variety pack. My daughters bus driver asked my daughter if I had enough eggs for her to start buying some also but she only wanted brown eggs she insisted they were the best tasting in the healthiest. Well that’s a little hard to do for me so I sent my daughter on the bus with a variety pack and told her that that one is free. She then realized they all taste the same and her kids thought it was pretty awesome That there was different colors. Now she’s a regular customer.

I like that you fired customers. LOL you’re my kind of person! Why should we need to worry about trouble some customers there’s plenty and plenty of people who know how healthy and delicious a fresh egg is so it’s usually not too hard to find a new pleasant customer The way I see it is I’m not forcing anybody to buy my eggs and if you don’t like them there’s plenty of other people to buy them from. And there’s customers can be their problem.
The older I get the more I notice I have less tolerance for people. LOL

I like that you fired customers. LOL you’re my kind of person! Why should we need to worry about trouble some customers there’s plenty and plenty of people who know how healthy and delicious a fresh egg is so it’s usually not too hard to find a new pleasant customer The way I see it is I’m not forcing anybody to buy my eggs and if you don’t like them there’s plenty of other people to buy them from. And there’s customers can be their problem.
The older I get the more I notice I have less tolerance for people. LOL

Amen to that!!! There are enough really nice people in the world who truly value locally produced food and are so happy to find a backyard flock with an opening for a new customer. As we get older, a wise old friend used to say to me - we just become more ourselves.

Personally I have no time for people who don't value my time - i.e. "I'll be there at 3" then wanders in hours later ... which was (temporarily) solved by a cooler on the front porch.

Well, if I don't think to look whether a person actually showed up (I have a busy life too!!) and I find them still in the cooler the next day with the "ice" packs melted, they're only meant to be out there for a max of 8 hours in the summer temps... which leaves me with eggs I would not sell for food safety reasons.

Then she started leaving checks. For 2 dozen eggs. Which means that I then had to stop at the bank to deposit the check for 2 dozen eggs. Uh huh. (ok, I realize there's take a picture of the check for deposit- but I proudly still have the same flip phone from 2008- and until it does- I'm not replacing it.

It didn't go on too long - the 2nd time I was sitting in line at the bank drive thru I watched the clock and asked that very important question- why I am sitting here to cash an $8 check? I always leave my "blue cooler" customers change for a $20- so it's not like she couldn't have made a quick ATM stop - but she wasn't willing to spend HER time doing that - but it was OK for me to spend MY time dealing with her check.

So, she got the 'you're fired' email - I immediately found someone else who was excited to find eggs available, and returned things to the way they're meant to be. Chickens lay the eggs, I collect them, weigh them to ensure they meet at least the "large" net weight, sell to customer, put cash in lockbox.

I know, that got a little rant-esque. There have been a couple others along the line- people who haggle. I have no problem offering quantity discounts to people who buy on a regular schedule, always bring cartons back etc., but when the conversation turns to "I can buy eggs for (whatever price) from the grocery store" -- that is it. Generally I (politely) invite them to buy eggs from their grocery store. =)

That’s what I do too. I Call it a variety pack. My daughters bus driver asked my daughter if I had enough eggs for her to start buying some also but she only wanted brown eggs she insisted they were the best tasting in the healthiest. Well that’s a little hard to do for me so I sent my daughter on the bus with a variety pack and told her that that one is free. She then realized they all taste the same and her kids thought it was pretty awesome That there was different colors. Now she’s a regular customer.

Oh too funny! I realize it would be a little cheeky to have your daughter read the bus driver "Green Eggs and Ham" ...but it would be funny! Excellent sales tactic!

If I asked her to do that I would get the famous Eye roll. She 16 but doesn’t want to drive and I’m definitely OK with that one. When a customer becomes more trouble than the eight dollars it’s worth then it’s time to forget them. Some people don’t realize even when you raise chickens you do have to have a full-time job and do your normal life stuff. Good luck to her finding a person who will except checks Four eggs. I live in the middle of nowhere and most people who purchased from me live out in town so I found it easier to drop them off on my way out to town. Some people come to me but I wouldn’t put up with somebody letting my eggs go bad. You and your chicken worked very hard for them

I’ve heard that one to people will ask me the price and say oh well I can get mine at the grocery store for $.50. Like you I politely say then enjoy your grocery store eggs. My husband‘s coworkers asked him for some eggs and he told them he would bring them some for free for the first time since their coworkers. But they would have to pay if it was on a regular basis. They were shocked that we would charge money for eggs. He was offended because he said well why should we have to pay you get them for free?! I don’t know anybody that can raise chickens for free.Let’s just say they are not customers

Back
Top Bottom