Help! Something has hit my flock

Haleyrbloom

Chirping
Apr 20, 2018
San Jose, CA
Something has hit my flock overnight. Chickens have rattled breathing and diarrhea. Some making weird sounds.

One had it first after eating. Seemed all the sudden. Then this morning four sounded the same way. They are about 6 mths old.

Symptoms:
Lethargic
diarrhea
rattle breathing
making weird noises

I did give them VetRx a few hours ago and seemed to help a tiny bit.

I do have Albon suspension from a chick I had to treat a few days ago.

I looked for tylan at TS, but they said you can’t get in CA.

It's Infectious Bronchitis (IB.) Watery whites are a dead giveaway in addition to what the vet stated. IB is a virus and antibiotics wont treat the disease. Tetracyline type drugs will treat secondary infections from the disease. Here's an excellent easy read link for you to read about IB and it includes info about using Oxine as Micstracan mentioned:
https://www.shagbarkbantams.com/infectious-bronchitis/

I’m sorry about your flock. If it’s viral, supportive care is about all you can do (and treat for secondary bacterial infection if it comes to that.) Did the vet mention the possibility of a fungal infection? With the California warmth, is that a possibility? I think fungal respiratory infections can be treated with Oxine, but I’m not familiar with the details.

I haven’t dealt with a serious respiratory issue yet in my flock (just minor symptoms), so the others will probably have more advice than I will.

Are they drinking lots of fluids?

I see a lot of watery egg whites in eggs I buy from the grocery store. After having a suspected outbreak of infectious bronchitis a few years ago, the most common thing I noticed was wrinkled egg shells or some other defects in shells.

Infectious bronchitis will affect nearly all of your chickens eventually as it spreads through the flock. Most or all grown chickens recover, unless they suffer secondary infections.

Mycoplasma or MG, in mild cases can look similar to IB, but there is less chance of it spreading so wuickly as IB does. Since IB causes them to become carriers for up to a year, one way to control the disease from spreading is to not add new birds or hatch eggs for at least a year after your last bird recovers.

Tylan50 injectable from the feed store, or Tylan soluble powder for the water (available from your vet with a prescription,) are helpful to treat secondary infections caused by MG. There is a one day egg withdrawal with oral use. I would use the injectable Tylan 50 orally as well.

Back
Top Bottom