Help!! Something is wrong with my baby.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by harleyjo, Aug 7, 2010.

1. harleyjo

harleyjo Songster

May 6, 2010
    SW Iowa
    I have 2 Muscovy ducklings that are around 7 weeks old I think. We had them out in the yard tonight and we were out there watching the ducks and chickens and I noticed the 2 ducks were in the coop. So I went in and saw one watching over the other one. He was laying on the floor. Appeared to have trouble moving. So we picked him up and got him to water and he still won't get up and move around. He just kind of falls over. He or she can stand so I don't think it is a leg problem. It is panting too. What could this be and what do I do? It had been just fine running around the yard and exploring.

2. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

I would put the duck on electrolytes with vitamins and niacin. The lack of niacin can cause it, but it also can be something. The duck will recover really fast if it is a deficiency. You normally see improvement within hours. If nothing changes within 24 hours then you have to look elsewhere, or perhaps consult with a veterinarian. Moldy food can also be the culprit.

3. harleyjo

harleyjo Songster

May 6, 2010
    SW Iowa
    Well it died. It went from an hour ago out in the yard running and playing to dead. It must have eaten something outside toxic to it. Now I need help to know what I have to keep the other duckling away from. Now I also have a lonely muscovy baby. They were together all the time.[​IMG]

4. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

so sorry about your baby. I hope you find out what happened, and can find a buddy for your little one. [​IMG]

5. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

I'm so sorry to hear that. I would still put the remaining duck on electrolytes with vitamins and niacin, just to rule this out and to improve strength. I hope you will find out what it was. Good luck.

6. Rebel Rooster

Rebel Rooster I Will Love! :)

Jun 29, 2009
    Central SC
    My Coop
    Could it have gotten biten by a snake?? Cotton Mouth maybe?? Eaten a small poisonous snake?? [​IMG] Soooo Sorry...

7. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    I'm so sorry you lost your baby. [​IMG]

8. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Songster

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Sorry to hear about your duckling's sudden death. [​IMG] Hopefully, you can find out what happened and keep the other one, and his new companion, from getting sick.

9. harleyjo

harleyjo Songster

May 6, 2010
    SW Iowa
    We live in southwest IA and there although we live in one of the few counties in IA that do have poisonous snakes, we don't live in area of the county where they are so I think the snake theory is doubtful.

10. Red Maple Farms

Red Maple Farms Wish Granted

Feb 25, 2010
    NE Wisconsin
    Quote:Labored breathing and has trouble moving? Died quickly? Sounds a lot like botulism.

From http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/205400.htm

Ingested preformed toxin, absorbed into the blood, binds to nerve terminals and blocks release of acetylcholine. The result is flaccid muscle paralysis. Death is due to cardiac and respiratory arrest.

Clinical signs in poultry and wild birds are similar. Flaccid paralysis of the legs, wings, neck, and eyelids is seen. Paralytic signs progress cranially from the legs to include the wings, neck, and eyelids. “Limberneck,” the common name of botulism, describes neck paralysis. In affected waterfowl, neck paralysis can lead to drowning. Affected chickens have ruffled feathers. Signs in broiler chickens may also include diarrhea with excess urates in the loose droppings.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by