HELP Something is WRONG with my PIGEON

Rabi Gabriel

Chirping
Dec 28, 2020
Last month I got Fancy Pigeons (Full grown Adult) for my father's birthday ..
IMG_20210129_151737.jpg

IMG_20210129_151744.jpg

IMG_20210129_151757_BURST001_COVER.jpg

(Everything was good, eating well, running around making happy noises)

Today in the Morning my dad found the male pigeon siting in a corner not moving to eat or drink. Dad took him out of the cage Pearl's (male) head is bending sideways and isn't able to hold his head up nor able walk properly in a straight line.

WHAT SHOULD WE DO NOW ?
Gave 3 drops of antibiotics (used for poultry) .. PLEASE HELP

Last edited:
View attachment 2507329
View attachment 2507330
View attachment 2507332

Today in the Morning my dad found the male pigeon siting in a corner not moving to eat or drink. Dad took him out of the cage Pearl's (male) head is bending sideways and isn't able to hold his head up nor able walk properly in a straight line.

WHAT SHOULD WE DO NOW ?
I'm so sorry.

To me it sounds like PMV:

Please check out his other health videos, as they are always beneficial.

I do not feel I am the best at diagnosing illness, as many of them have similar symptoms. I will tag some wise pigeon fanciers for you!

@biophiliac
@Qwerty3159
@Old_Strain_Lover
@Liz Birdlover
Sorry about the pigeon, I know nothing about them. You may want to post on the pigeons forums so you get more answers, but I'll tag in someone for you too.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/pigeons-and-doves.52/

@backyard pigeons are you able to help?
thanks for the tag!

View attachment 2507329
View attachment 2507330
View attachment 2507332

WHAT SHOULD WE DO NOW ?
I think it sounds most like PMV.
http://www.pigeon-aid.org.uk/pa/html/paramyxovirus__pmv_.php
I have no personal experience with this in my birds. It is a virus so there is really no treatment other than supportive care.
@Old_Strain_Lover has more experience than most of us so I would defer to his advice.
PS That is such a pretty bird. I hope he recovers.

Make sure that the bird keeps eating and drinking (tube feed if necessary) - vitamin supplementation may help. PMV in my experience has been a strange disease with some birds remaining asymptomatic while others become severely debilitated. Good luck with him and the other bird.

@Rabi Gabriel - Where are u located? U.K.? US? Is it winter or summer where you are?
Also, I just noticed that the link I posted gives 3 homeopathic remedies that may help with the symptoms. If you want to try meds I suggest the homeopathic remedies over the antibiotics. Antibiotics do not help with viruses.
Currently am living in Pakistan and it's winter here.. Thank You so much for responding and helping out.

After going out in search for vet finally found one who treats birds and he said that it's paramyxo virus and there's only 50% chance of survival.

Probably PMV, but is it possible there was an injury? I had a pigeon hen suffer an injury during a hawk attack that left her neck twisted like that, she did not make it.

In my case the pigeon was not attacked nor left unattended when taken out of the cage but had been responding a bit slower than usual..

We finally found a vet after searching for one who is able to treat birds. He said that it is paramyxo virus gave injection even gave us one injection / syringe filled with antibiotics to inject in water or give that directly (i guess) at home, feed cerealac thru a tube and only 50% chance of survival.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom