HELP! Something is wrong!

Kate Shaw

Chirping
Jan 24, 2019
Avon, NY
I have a chicken that is suddenly (as in just today) keeping to herself and is less active. Her tail feathers seem to be pointing downward and she is uninterested in treats. Her combs and waddles are of normal color.

This is my first flock, so I’m not sure where to begin diagnosing.

When did she last lay an egg? My chicken did this once and she needed help passing an egg. I would take her inside and put her in the bathroom with hot water going to steam it up. I would also give her some calcium ASAP. You can crush up some tums with water and use a dropped to make her drink it. You can put some gloves on too and feel just inside her vent to see if you feel an egg inside. Hope this helps keep us updated!

When did she last lay an egg? My chicken did this once and she needed help passing an egg. I would take her inside and put her in the bathroom with hot water going to steam it up. I would also give her some calcium ASAP. You can crush up some tums with water and use a dropped to make her drink it. You can put some gloves on too and feel just inside her vent to see if you feel an egg inside. Hope this helps keep us updated!
She just laid an egg today. I only have 3 white egg layers and I had 3 white eggs today

Do you have nutridrench? I would give her some for a little boost. Any sores on the bottom of her feet? You can also check under her wings for mites.
Her feet looked good. But, I’ll look for that nutridrench. Thanks for your help! Hopefully I’m just over reacting

Good luck! Hope it’s nothing major, I worry instantly all the time. A case of “Sky is Falling” syndrome, constantly for me. So I feel your pain. One day the car was gone and my first thought was did the chickens steal it. Turns out my wife had it, but first thought, did the chickens steal it. True story.

I have a chicken that is suddenly (as in just today) keeping to herself and is less active. Her tail feathers seem to be pointing downward and she is uninterested in treats. Her combs and waddles are of normal color.

This is my first flock, so I’m not sure where to begin diagnosing.
Gosh, it’s hard to say without more symptoms. I hoe she feels better soon!

How does her crop feel? Is it empty or full, hard, doughy, or puffy? Has she been eating or drinking today? They can have egg laying problems even though they seem to have been laying normally. Have her egg shells been normal and hard? What do her droppings look like? Offer her water from a scoop, some chopped scrambled egg, wet chicken feed, or any food that she likes.

Back
Top Bottom