HELP! Something wrong with cat and we cant see vet!

Thank you for the info on carecredit, I will look into that ASAP, Cammy thank you for your kind and encouraging words! Sarah, don't worry, I didnt think you were implying that at all, there were a few of the original posts that came down hard and I just wanted to verify when I did get my cat originally we could take care of him financially, and he does get vet care, much more than many other ppl I know of around here do for their house cats. DH has decided to stop at our regular vet on the way home and talk to them. Explain the situation and his symptoms and see what they say. HE is pretty convinced they're going to say to bring him in which ...we wont be able to at this point and hope he will make it until friday ok, but DH is very upset at this point and sad to say, but I think at the moment if he loses it when he gets to the vet...that may work in our favor. So in the mean time I am watching and pampering the little guy and checking out our options. IF it is just an upper respiratory infection, can the (?clavamox?) be bought at a TSC or something along those lines?

Quote:
No, you cannot buy Clavamox through TSC. You can buy it through places like Drs. Foster and Smith, but you still need a prescription for it, and my own vet won't write 'scripts for other pet pharmacies because they claim the online pet meds can be dangerous and not the actualy thing, and so on and so forth...

I'll be interested in what's causing your cats issues. Hoping it's okay. Did you mention someone's dog was ill with the same symptoms? What was the cause of those?

I had a cat years ago and after an apartment move, she started coughing and throwing up yellow liquid. She seemed to have trouble breathing. Took her to the vet and it turned out it was poisoning. The water bowl was situated next to the kitchen sink cabinet on the floor and as the pipes sweated that summer the water liquified the previous renters spilled cleaning supplies, which then were running into her bowl.

She got real weak because of dehydration but once we figured it out she got well fast.

Because it was more than one animal and species could it have been something poisonous that they both got into?

Good Luck. Best well wishes coming your way.

well DH stopped and talked to vet, I have no idea what they may think it is, or if he discussed payment with them, but he has informed me we have 7:15 appt so I'll keep you all updated! Cross your fingers for us, and hopefully it will turn out to be something minor and fixable! On a good note, Z seems more comfortable and easy breathing at the current moment and hasnt coughed for a cpl hours. I think he's loving the fact that he gets to be glued to my side today tho esp when normally I dont even let him in my room!

That's great Michelle, and I hope very much they can help your cat feel well again.
fl.gif
Many times if something can be treated in time, it can be cured or at least managed in a way that brings comfort to the being in need of help. Sending good wishes. JJ

Last edited:
well he got his regular check up and shots as well, but the vet said he is def wheezy (even tho of course he didn't cough while we were there at all) and the vet is 90 percent sure he has asthma, most likely related to the smoke upstairs. So he wants me to keep him downstairs tonight and see how he does and he is getting a chest xray at 10am tommorrow to verify astham or something worse but hopefully asthma! As much as I dont want an asthmatic cat, at least that is treatable!!! And if the xray shows that, he'll get asthma shots and if that doesnt work, eventually he'll get weekly pills.

Hi Michelle - Thanks for the update! If it is asthma one of those in home air purifiers that take smoke particles out of the air may help too.

A cat I loved dearly was misdiagnosed with asthma (even after x-rays) when it turned out he had bad cardiomyopathy. My poor boy had a heart attack while still in hospital, indeed while gasping for air in an oxygen chamber. I was told it was a treatable asthma when in fact it was not a treatable situation and he should not have had to endure that extra time trying to breathe, terror in his eyes and then suffering a heart attack. It was a nightmare I have never recovered from. I share this not to worry you, as hopefully your guy has treatable asthma but just to arm you to ask the vet if the x-rays are clear in ruling out cardiomyopathy (which can be treated in cases that are not too advanced).

Please let us know how it goes - sending more good wishes.
JJ

p.s. I don't think the vet should have given your cat vaccines when he is in a compromised condition. The vaccines were not urgent. My vets concur and do not administer vaccines when the patient is ill.

Last edited:
JJ, I did ask him to verify prior to the xray that he be certain it's not cardiomyopathy and he assured me he would do just that.

And....

his lungs are "just asthmatic!" which after the long haul yesterday, I'm ok with that!!! I can deal with an asthmatic cat! Just glad its something we can treat! So he got a shot of steriod today and will get another one in three weeks, and the vet also wants a followup call in a few days to let him know how he's doing! YAYYYY Z! He seems happy to be comfortable finally too! I'll post a pic of his happiness later if I get time but I just wanted to say thank you all so much for your input and support!

YA Z!!!!! Asthma is easy to handle (heck, I've got it!) I'm so happy it's nothing more serious. Now you can breath a little easier too. I know how important he is to you. I have 3 myself, 2 of them being 16 years old. They are very healthy for their age but the time will come when I will have to walk the road to the end. That is a day I dread.

Back
Top Bottom