HELP!!! something wrong with chicken!

chickensman98

Chirping
10 Years
Feb 8, 2012
So i came home and i gave my chickens a apple and some grass that i picked (because no plants grow where they are fenced in) and i was watching them and i noticed that one of the chickens was walking very slowly and was not moving much even when i threw some more treats into the pen. PLEASE HELP! for i do not know what to do and i don't want to lose this chicken! I don't think the chicken has sour crop but i am not sure for i have never had a chicken with sour crop and i do not think the chicken is egg bound for i have had that before. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
How old are they, what do the poops look like, are they eating a drinking, and are any puffed up or huddling? Have they been wormed? Feel the crop early in the morning to see if it is empty, or hard and full, or full and squishy. Check for mites and lice especially under and near the vent.

Last edited:
The chicken is about 2-3 years old, the poop was white and brown and a little runny i think( it was hard to tell for it was not fresh), last time i looked she was eating and drinking, i do not think she has worms for her poop does not have any worms, her crop i think was empty( it was hard to find) and i think she has lost weight, and it looked like she did not have any mites but it was hard to tell if it was a mite or some dirt. this might not mean anything but it looked like her eyes were a little more red than the other chickens. Sorry if this was not helpful

Worms do not always show in the poop...if you see any worms she would be heavily infested..it would be a good idea to de-worm her and the rest of the flock as a precaution if they have not been treated for worms recently.

You will not always see evidence of lice and mites, again it is prudent to treat your flock with sevin dust or permethryn... if no problems with worms or lice/mites they can at least be eliminated from whatever your chicken is suffering from.

Hope she improves in her health very soon for you!

Back
Top Bottom