help = somethings wrong

mamahen923

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 19, 2009
I have a grown hen who is moving little, not eating or drinking. She is still standing, but has one wing hanging low. I don't feel any breaks, not does she react to being picked up. I don't feel any egg. Her beak is hanging open (it's hot) and trembling. Any ideas?

Thanks for your reply. She seemed fine earlier this afternoon. She isn't taking water or food, not even grapes (a favorite). The other hens seem fine. This hen is normally very chatty, but she's not making a peep now. I tried putting an ice bag under a towel for her, but she moved away from it. I don't know what else to tell you.

I would try to soak her legs in cool water, make sure there is shade, and a fan would probably cool things a bit. We had 100 degrees today, so my chickens were miserable. I just put ice in their water and always make sure they have shallow pans of cool water to wade in. Hope she gets better.

Thank you. They do have a fan. I have put her back in the coop where she's safe from predators and I will put ice in their water. Other than that, I guess I just have to wait and watch.

Sometimes one of mine will get too overheated, so I bring them inside a cool house, give them water and food (mush) and electrolytes, and put them back out when they are acting normal. I've had to do it twice this year. I put them back out at night .

Back
Top Bottom