HELP! Sour crop!

Deep litter? No we clean their pine shavings out every 3-5 days.

The vet pulled out grass, lots of grass per my husband and the sour crop liquid. I don't think anything crazy was in there.

I'll glove up and bleac their house.

Ginger is currently hanging out in a dim and quiet place.
I can tell she wants to eat, she looks at whatever I'm offering her and considers it and then I guess she remembers she's not feeling too good. I want to offer her yogurt but I don't want to make her sick on the lactos.

Have you considered using straw? Is natural, and the deep litter method does work, keeps the smell down, just keep adding more straw when it starts to smell.

Hmmm, so did the vet think an impaction or sour crop?

Hope she is feeling better soon!

Have you considered using straw? Is natural, and the deep litter method does work, keeps the smell down, just keep adding more straw when it starts to smell.

Hmmm, so did the vet think an impaction or sour crop?

Hope she is feeling better soon!
I like straw, it's what I use here, but if she had an impaction from grass I'd think twice.

-Kathy

We can't do the deep litter method my chicken house is a small fortress. We have a lot of predators out here so my husband had their house custom built but honestly it should be bigger but it's only for sleeping. We are obsessed w the safety of our chickens, they are family members :)

Honestly it scared the sheeeeet out of the vet when he was removing the contents of her crop. He doesn't have much experience w chickens, he is still learning but he is a good man and good vet. He has called me a few times checking on Ginger and he knows I'm a crazy and concerened avian mom lol.

Ginger is currently still hanging out in her dim little quiet corner, I know this is good for her now. She is usually so friendly so it's odd to see her so to herself. It's odd not to play w her.

I feel it will be a slow recovery : /
but she will recover.

I'll check out the baby bird food, it's a drive to the nearest petco, I'll call to see if our local pet store carries it.

Thanks for all of your help guys.

Do you guys believe that bumblefoot can cause a secondary bacterial infection in the gut or maybe even sour crop? I haven't checked the bottom of her feet but spoke w the vet and he said he didn't notice swelling on her foot. I read that bumblefoot begins w a small black scab and progresses into swelling and such.

I'm still doing research about chicken ailments and I was wondering about bumblefoot.

I *think* if the infection spread to the blood (sepsis) it could cause crop stasis due to organs shutting down, then death.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom