Help!!!STOLEN CHICKENS NEED GUARD DOG!!!!!

Not all rescue groups are created equal.

I ran into one like you described in California. Whereas others I located in the east and south seemed to have a better understanding of rural life and the fact that livestock guardian dogs are happiest in the job they were created to do.

I would keep searching if that's the way you want to go.

The thing I didn't like was how invasive the questionnaire was. I understand their wanting to be careful they don't put the dog into a bad situation a second time, but for my tastes and my sense of independence, I didn't feel the need to divulge so much personal information.

Connie

I'm sorry that you feel that the questions being asked of potential adopters by rescues are a bit invasive but they are for the dog's and the adopter's protection. I work with 2 rescues groups and I have turned down applicants because they didn't meet certain criteria. All rescue groups have what they call "Red Flags" for the adoption of the dogs that they rescue. Some of these dogs have been cruelly treated and or abused by their previous owners. Some have been totally ignored and not trained or socialized.

So they ask the questions to find the best possible match for the dog. They take these dogs in, have them vetted, treated for any medical conditions, temperment tested as well as work with the dog to correct any bad behaviors they may have. Some dogs just cannot be placed and remain in foster care the rest of their lives.

The responsible Rescues will do all that they can to insure the best possible matches of dog and people.

Back
Top Bottom