Help!!!STOLEN CHICKENS NEED GUARD DOG!!!!!

u could get some geese too. or i always suggest border collies. iive had them for years and they make the best family dogs, ranch dogs, and guard dogs. And u have plenty of space for a border collie to get exercise. I suggest a border/ aussie mix. Austrailian shepards have all the perks of a border colle without the hyperness. but like i said geese are the best watch dogs too and they will blend nicely with ur flock or u can get a couple outside ur pen. if u want loud "aggressive" honkers i suggest chinas or africans. if u want a sweeter goose get a toulouse.

Well 2 weeks ago someone actually stole my eggs from the refrigerator in the barn. So I know someone is messing around up there. I don't think it is kids. I am going to look very hard tomorrow and see if I can find any remains, feathers, etc from my RIR . They are full grown and I don't think a hawk could take it whole. I'm just going crazy trying to figure out what is going on.

I love dogs,and have been thinking about a Great Pyrenees. I live in southern indiana, does anyone know of a rescue sight that I could look at about trying to get one?

Thanks to everyone for their info. Any leads on finding a Great Pyrenese would be great!!!

Poohbear, where did you get your rescued GP's

THANK YOU

Quote:
The Shetland Sheepdog is not a small Collie, it just looks like one. Several breeds were used in the development of the breed, including the Scotch Collie. They were developed on the Shetland Islands for help with herding sheep and cattle, not necessarily for protecting chickens from foxes.

They are a herding breed, and like all herding breeds need to be thoroughly trained in their jobs. While they will bark at strangers, and will defend their property you might want to look at a German Shepherd Dog or a Regular Rough Coated Collie. But be careful when you buy any breed, check their backgrounds out. You are looking for a dog that will be a companion and guard to the family as well as guard your property and livestock. Check out the AKC website and look for a reputable breeder in your area.

Quote:
There was an ad on Craigs List for GP Puppies. You can also check on Pet Finders website. What you do is select Dogs, then click on the see all highlighted line. It will bring up a list of all the different dog breeds. Scroll down until you find the GP's and click on that link. It will bring up all the GP's that are currently available for adoption. There are 1,079 listed as available for adoption, several in the Southern Indiana/Northern Kentucky area.

Their link is: Petfinder.com

I agree with the Great Pyrenees comments. I've seen them work for a long time and decided to get one this Christmas. I have a 7 week old Great Pyr puppy that my kids will wake up to on Christmas morning along with some new goats that the puppy will be raised with.

I don't free range my chickens but I might once the Pyr grows up.

I bought my great pyr from a goat breeder who has the dam and sire working on his goat farm.

It came down to a Great Pyrenees or an Anatolian. I went with the Pyr b/c there was a litter available. I really like the Anatolian breed for a LGD (livestock guard dog). Both are good protectors. I'll probably add an Anatolian one day.

Quote:
The Shetland Sheepdog is not a small Collie, it just looks like one. Several breeds were used in the development of the breed, including the Scotch Collie. They were developed on the Shetland Islands for help with herding sheep and cattle, not necessarily for protecting chickens from foxes.

They are a herding breed, and like all herding breeds need to be thoroughly trained in their jobs. While they will bark at strangers, and will defend their property you might want to look at a German Shepherd Dog or a Regular Rough Coated Collie. But be careful when you buy any breed, check their backgrounds out. You are looking for a dog that will be a companion and guard to the family as well as guard your property and livestock. Check out the AKC website and look for a reputable breeder in your area.

18621_chicken_pics_015.jpg

German Shepherds are quite good with chickens-ours is very gentle with them, very gentle with little kids, but we trained her to be that way. You have the kids get on top of them to show that they are the "leader of the pack" Great watch dog, boy, she let's you know that there's someone out there! She is trained to chase all neighboring dogs off the property. She stops right at the property line and doesn't go over the line. A wonderful friend, watchdog and boy does she like to play games! Very smart. She knows how to push the door closed when she comes in from outside, does "high five" gives "hugs" and does all the usual commands, heel, come, stay, roll over, play dead, etc. She would protect us and all of our livestock with her very life, I have no doubt!

Hi,

Someone mentioned Border Collie as a guard dog.

I would say this as an experienced owner of a Border Collie, they are fantastic dogs, great guards and I would not be without my dog. But it depends on the dog/owner relationship.

I have a dog, and when I got him, I was told if I hadn't had experience with Collies I would not have got him. They are lush dogs, daft as a brush and highly intelligent, but they are strong mentally too.

You have to be boss with these dogs, and their intelligence can make them sly and difficult on times. It can be wearing, you can not let your guard down with them because they will constantly take adantage.

My dog comes from working parents and he is really good, bit jealous of the girls . but he is safe around them, but I would never trust him 100%.

So I would advise to go with the Great Pyr if possible. Lovely dog and also to be trusted more.

My Collie still scares the postman after 4 years, but if he was loose he is a total baby. All attention has to be for him, and he's a big boy now, no matter, wherever possible he has to be top dog. Plus he has selective hearing some times... lol...

They need a lot of stimulation to stop intelligence going the wrong way.

Jena.

Back
Top Bottom