Help! Temp might be way too low for my babies!

KirstenColorado

In the Brooder
Mar 21, 2015
Freaking out: I put my 5 1/2 week olds into the shed/coop for their first overnight. They have a heat lamp in there, and the center should be 65 degrees. But a big storm has rolled in, and the temp is much lower than I expected. They are all piled on top of each other, really stuffed into a corner of the shed (not the warmest part) and I'm not sure I can even get to them. It'll likely only be around 45 degrees at the lowest point tonight. What should I do?

Freaking out:  I put my 5 1/2 week olds into the shed/coop for their first overnight.  They have a heat lamp in there, and the center should be 65 degrees.  But a big storm has rolled in, and the temp is much lower than I expected.  They are all piled on top of each other, really stuffed into a corner of the shed (not the warmest part) and I'm not sure I can even get to them.  It'll likely only be around 45 degrees at the lowest point tonight.  What should I do?

How many?

I would bring them in(house or basement) fearing they might be chicksicles from the cold. Our they fully feathered out? Better to be safe than sorry.

There are 10, with about 1/2 of each chicks body with "grown up" feathers along with still some baby fluff. I'm also worried that when they're all piled together, they might crush or suffocate others. The lowest they've gone so far is 60 degrees. They are with my 3 ten week olds, and they are used to each other, but won't get near each other--the little guys are still a little intimidated--which is why I think they're not moving to the warmer part.

There are 10, with about 1/2 of each chicks body with "grown up" feathers along with still some baby fluff.  I'm also worried that when they're all piled together, they might crush or suffocate others.  The lowest they've gone so far is 60 degrees.  They are with my 3 ten week olds, and they are used to each other, but won't get near each other--the little guys are still a little intimidated--which is why I think they're not moving to the warmer part.

I started w 29. They would all huddle together and no one got squished. With ten I'm not sure. R they under the heat lamp? If you can't get to them is there an old blanket or a heading pad or something to add head without being a fire hazard?

Nothing else I can add for more warmth. Wish they'd come out of the "cold" corner into the rest of the area which is warm enough, but I think they're scared. I'm going to check the temp again in about 15 min, and probably try to pull them out, unless someone thinks they might be okay...

I'd leave them be. Every time you open things up to check on them, you are letting heat escape. By five weeks old, they know that the heat lamp means 'warm.' If they are in need of warmth, they know where to get it. The more likely situation is that they are nervous about the new surroundings and are huddling close together for sense of security.

Why not add a 100 watt incandescent bulb? Station the two heat sources at opposite ends so the chicks can form two separate groups.

Do you have one of those "space blankets"? It's a thin sheet of poly material metalized to produce a heat reflective surface. It cost around $2 in the camping aisle at W-mart. It's large enough to form a tent over your chick enclosure, guaranteed to keep heat in.

You could also fill numerous gallon milk or water jugs with hot water before you go to bed. Lots of reserve heat in a bank of hot water bottles.

Back
Top Bottom