HELP! The long, frustrating battle...WHY is she doing this?!?! PICS, VIDEO

koakritters

Songster
8 Years
Jan 27, 2011
Petaluma
This little girl is soooooo frustrating!

I got her a couple a little over a month ago from the animal shelter- she couldn't walk and was going to be put down. So I brought her home, took her to a vet who didn't think she looked like she had Marek's. A lot of what I read on here said maybe a vitamin deficiency. Okay, did that for a while. She was up, standing on both legs, and able to walk about 4 steps at a time, and then Poof! Back to almost worse than when I got her.

Then she started being able to get up again, able to stand pretty decently, and now we are back to this...

I am getting super, super frustrated with her... She's the sweetest thing, loves being held and getting attention, calls out when I leave the room. Eats, drinks, everything about her seems just fine, except those stupid legs!!!!

HELP!!!!!!

Wow, that is very odd. try taking her to a different vet, preferably one that focuses on poultry.

I can't help much, very sorry.

Oh my...I so wish I could help you! What a sweet lil' one. It looks like an issue with her right leg or maybe something neurological? GREAT idea to post the video to give everyone a true sense of your ordeal. Hopefully someone with experience will come along soon.

Last edited:
the vet that looked at her does focus on 'exotics' and chickens and things like that. Everything I've heard/been told about mareks says that it's a slow paralysis, so in theory she wouldn't be getting better then worse, then better... right? if she's being paralyzed then it wouldn't get better...when I got her she couldn't move her legs at all, they thought she had broken them. Then within 2 weeks she was up and walking, then back down again...

You never know with chickens. I would make her a.chicken chair and add some wheels to it. Might strengthen her legs. Give vitamin E and selinium. ..Jeffers hasa goat gel that comes in a horse wormer type tube..big tube for like $8...my hen loves it. understand it Might not be fixable. ...and just try what you can.

Chicken chair, good idea.
Maybe one of those 'walkers' for dolls would fit? She'd be supported upright but able to get her feet on the ground and exersize her legs without having to support her weight.......

i've been debating to make a chair for her or not, i'm to the point i just want to know if she's going to get better or not, so i can figure out the best way to keep her comfortable and not hurting herself. if she acted like she was in pain, and wasn't happy then it would be different, but since she's happy, and i've completely fallen in love with the thing... :) she's been through too much to give up on her now, all the skin on the top of her head was gone when i got her, had to have her neck skin pulled up and over and stitched back together, so she had to go under anesthesia for that, and then the recovery and meds after that was, uh, fun.....
hu.gif

i wonder if they make a baby doll chair small enough for her, she's pretty small, i think some sort of bantam, don't even know what she is or how old or anything, she doesn't sound like an adult yet, she still peeps
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom