Help! There is a skunk in my coop now!

once he's gone... for the smell:
Mix together:
  • 1 quart of 3-percent hydrogen peroxide (available at any pharmacy)
  • 1/4 cup baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon liquid dishwashing soap
Also... though not in a coop... we’ve kept a skunk from returning under our porch by placing a very fragrant bar of soap underneath... apparently their sensitive noses find perfumed soaps repulsive?
x2 for this anti smell recipe! Used it on my dog after she got sprayed and was washed twice already with other recipes not doing much for the smell-this made a world of difference and the dog was even allowed to still sleep in the house that night.

I went out to close the door on my coop, there was a skunk drinking out of the water dish! My girls are up on their roost. I brought the old blind girl in. She's in the basement in my hospital coop for now. How can I get him out of the coop ? It smells awful in there. I feel so sorry for my girls. I left the door open, thinking maybe he will just leave? I threw a 4'x4' at him, that's when he sprayed.
There have been reports of coyotes in the area. I hate to leave it open, but, that's how he got in. My hens were out free ranging and I leave the door open until it's their bedtime. How can I get him out? Will he hurt my girls?
I'm late for responding.
Quick note- skunks are a threat to eggs and chickens.
I had a skunk problem a while ago, and it can be fairly easy to deal with.
Do you have some kind of old board or tote lid or blanket- something large that you can hold up to obstruct the skunk's vision of you.
Most skunks do not spray something they can't see. (It helps if it is dark.)
Anyway, I held up a board or tote lid, approached and herded it out of the run. It ran off and I locked up.

Not sure about how to deal with the smell. Others have advice.
Hope your situation is resolved safely.

If the cat food doesn't work, try tuna or marshmallows. Once he's out, shoot him. I agree with those who said to use Skunk off spray for the smell. It is 100% your best shot to make it better. I have two dogs who have a habit of getting sprayed every spring. I always keep it on hand!

Some years ago we had a skunk issue. All of the sudden we were overrun with skunks. They were digging up my yard and one tried to dig under a gate to the chick/grow-out coop. I put out some live traps. In a couple of weeks I caught over a dozen skunks. One night I got two in one trap. I had a huge hole dug on the back side of our property. Several years ago someone was catching and releasing skunks in my area. We are rural on a dead end road. I did talk to a game and wildlife officer at the time and he told me I could shoot them and any predator that was after my birds. At the time one was attempting to did under a gate to my chick coop pen. The pop door to the coop was partially shut so there were youngsters that were still out in the pen and it was dark, I had been distracted and almost forgot to shut the pop door. I went out and tried to scare it away but it stomped it's feet at me like a challenge so I went in and got my gun and when I came out it did it again so it was bye bye skunk.

Back
Top Bottom