Help! There is a skunk in my coop now!

Skunks will definitely kill chickens. They are a member of the weasel family and are predators. We lost several chickens to skunks when I was a kid. They burrowed under the coop.
That's how this one got in. I found his hole today! It was under one of the roost. I do the deep litter so I didn't see it until I was cleaning the roost boards this morning. I put orange pills in it and then put cat litter in it. I can't find where he started digging outside the coop. I'll be out there in the morning moving bales of hay, I bet that's where it is. I sure hope I don't run into him!

Try a live trap. I used canned cat food.
I don't have a trap. I've always just shot any thing that was a problem. I guess I will have to buy one for this skunk.
Well, so....what happened @webbysmeme ?
I found where he had dug in. Put orange peels and cat litter in it.now I have to move hay bales outside the coop. I think that's where he started digging! All my hens are fine. They smell pretty bad, he sprayed quiet a bit when I found him.

What we've done is approach the live trap quietly, with a tarp held up in front of the person, and then drape the tarp over the trap. Carry it to a better location, next to the burial site, pull the tarp back slightly, shoot, and bury the poor guy. No spraying happened, although they smell bad anyway.
And fix the coop to eliminate any access points!
Mary

What we've done is approach the live trap quietly, with a tarp held up in front of the person, and then drape the tarp over the trap. Carry it to a better location, next to the burial site, pull the tarp back slightly, shoot, and bury the poor guy. No spraying happened, although they smell bad anyway.
And fix the coop to eliminate any access points!
Mary
Well, with my luck I will get sprayed! Hopefully I can shoot him before I buy a trap! Sorry for the late reply earlier!!

Back
Top Bottom