HELP !! there is something hanging out of my chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickabator, Dec 2, 2007.

1. chickabator

chickabator Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    ky
    I had a chick hatch a few min. ago and there is a sack like thing that is pink hanging out of its belly. Like its stomache or something it is not moving much at all but is breathing is there anything I can do for it? I have one in the incubator that just hatched besides that one and 5 more that are hatching. it is just so pittiful looking it is fully formed and everything just the thing that looks like a gizzard hanging out

2. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    It might be the yolk sac. Just leave it be in the bator until the rest are hatched. If it is the yolk sac it will likely absorb.
    If it is not the yolk sac, it may not make it. Only time will tell.
    Keep us posted, ok?

3. lacyloo

lacyloo Cooped Up

May 26, 2007
    north florida
  4. chickabator

chickabator Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    ky
    is the yolk sack pink. I mean this looks like a gizzard that you buy in the store just smaller

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I had a chick that died in the shell. There was a sack containing its intestines outside the body, a bad defect, and the first time I've ever encoutered it. There is nothing you can do except see what happens. If it's a rough navel, then it may dry up and fall off, but if it contains the intestines, it can't survive.

6. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    This is one of those times when the best thing to do is nothing.

Just wait and see.

7. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I agree that sometimes doing nothing and letting nature take it's course is the best in the long run. Seems like every one I've tried to save....against my better judgement....ends up dying or I eventually put it down. I wish I could be more hard hearted sometimes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by