Help!! Thermometers not reading the same

Quote:
Sounds like a perfectly good plan to me
smile.png

Just a note tho. My digital Indoor/Outdoor calibrated to -1.3F

Over the years it has maintained this figure. There is a real advantage to being able to see the temp across the room, and knowing all is well. I just add 1.3 to the reading.

I am testing a Hova now, and without moving from my laptop on the sofa, I can see the temp inside the incubator in the dining room (it's 99.4F, btw)

I too was in the same predicament. I had bought 5 thermometers and none of them read close to the same. I finally bit the bullet and bought the brinsea digital incubator thermometer. It is supposed to be accurate to plus or minus .1 degree F. If I would have done that originally, it would have cost the same as buying all these cheaper ones that still didn't do a good job for me. I have had two hatches since switching and I have had no deformities (curled toes) and my hatch rate has increased to over 95%. That is pretty good for this time of the year when fertility is typically going down. Go for the Brinsea incubator thermometer. I got mind for under 30 bucks on Ebay. It at least put my mind to rest.
I put a piece of velro on the upper part (plastic) of the probe and place a piece on the upper 1/3 of one of the eggs to be hatched and regulate it 99.5 in my forced air unit and it works great. The adhesive from the velcro does not interfere with that egg developing. You can get a big roll of velro from Wally World.

Last edited:
If you know someone that has a thermometer that is proven to be right on, put it (along with yours) in your bator and see what the temp reads. Get your temp to where you want it with the borrowed gauge. Some gauges can be adjusted. If yours can't be, go with whatever temp. shows on your gauge after you know the temp. is correct by using the borrowed one.

I bought a thermometer/hygrometer. It was the one that had the most variance of all of them. When most were reading around 100 it said 102.5. At one point in time I had 6 thermometers in there all reading different temps. Frustrating. I've tried everything everyone has suggested, so I am using the thermometer that seemed most accurate. i think I will order a good incubator thermometer for the future.

Back
Top Bottom