Help! Third day of hatching and membranes are drying on chicks!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by pusskatkins, Oct 20, 2010.

1. pusskatkins

pusskatkins Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2010
    Virginia
    My crappy incubator "little giant", brand new btw, isnt keeping the humidity at an acceptable level even with sponges.
    The membranes are drying onto the chicks and they can't break free. I have already helped two break free by gently breaking the shells open and wetting the membranes.
    More have pipped, but haven't hatched and I suspect it's because of the low humidity,
    what can I do?

2. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    I have read that you can put a damp paper towel on the eggs to help soften the membrane if it has dried out. I have never done this myself so I am hoping that someone will chime in to confirm this or with other ideas.

3. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    I just keep adding papertowels soaked in warm water, its always worked in my old hovabator

4. pusskatkins

pusskatkins Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2010
    Virginia
    Thanks a bunch!

5. shellybean40

shellybean40 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Boerne, TX
    I put in a sopping wet washcloth (warm water) when mine were hatching out of my little giant. I had a 75% hatch rate, which I thought was great.

6. silky ma

silky ma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    I use a bran new kitchen sponge ..pre rinsed fill with warm water and place in incubator off to the side away from the fan.
    Works every time!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by