help to avoid "inbreeding"

Quote:
ut hum
hmm.png

Heehe..sorry..thought i'd be able to slip that one in with out anyone noticing it...i'm just joking! really!...
big_smile.png
..and my grandaddy who is also my uncle/father/brother combined..is from there..(.heehe..sorry again!!!
hmm.png
..).i'm just teasing!!.i dont have anything aganist Arkansas...deliverance was my favorite movie..
big_smile.png

Last edited:
No animal has a perfect set of genetics. We all have minor flaws and mutations. Usually this is not a problem because singly these genes cause no issues and no one has the same genetic flaws unless they share some of the same genetics. However if you concentrate those genes then you will start to see the problems. Siblings have the same mix of genes from the same parents and therefore the highest chance of both of them having the same genetic flaw.

A major example can be found in horses. The stallion Impressive was a big time stud that they bred to many many mares. It turns out he had a genetic flaw that causes problems with the use of electrolytes. It was not seen in the stallion but when his sons and daughters were crossed out to other horses and then back again to other Impressive decendants repeatedly at some point the hypp problem was found. These horses have serious muscle tremors that can lead to collaspe and death unless the potassium and sodium level is kept low in their diets. Now the registry has to go through a huge effort to get rid of this problem gene. All horses of Impressive lines must be hypp tested and the results marked on their papers. Horses with 2 copies of the gene cannot be used for breeding and registered.

You can ruin your entire breeding program and spend years eliminating a bad gene if you inbreed too much. It may not be obvious until several generations later when you've committed to that line. The reason for line breeding though has already been brought up. You will concentrate the good traits too and have a much better idea what your going to get than if you bring in unknown blood and genetics. You have to decide if the risk is worth the reward.

Quote:
Siblings do not have the same mix of genes, thus the difference in full siblings. A good example of this is the Lavender program that Jody has going on. She is breeding her Lavender boy to black hens (if Im understanding this right) with the resultant offspring having 50% the Lavender gene and 50% not. In order to get the Lavender gene to express itself in the next generation, the black hens with the lavender gene are bred back to the lavender roo to produce lavender babies, which will expres themselves as lavender because it got the lavender gene from both parents. The problem will be that she wont know which of those black hens carry that lavender gene until she breed them back, and even then she can't totally discount a black hen that hasnt produced a lavender chick until she has hatched enough eggs out of that particular hen to give a sizable sample. Im not sure I even explained this correctly, and I may be all wrong on this, but the point being that the babies from the lavender and black breeding will not all have the same mix of genes, just like any sibling breedings will not have the same mix of genes, until they are inbred for generations, and even then they wont be identical, ie cloned.

Quote:
ut hum
hmm.png

Heehe..sorry..thought i'd be able to slip that one in with out anyone noticing it...i'm just joking! really!...
big_smile.png
..and my grandaddy who is also my uncle/father/brother combined..is from there..(.heehe..sorry again!!!
hmm.png
..).i'm just teasing!!.i dont have anything aganist Arkansas...deliverance was my favorite movie..
big_smile.png

OT - You're forgiven, THIS TIME. If it happens again I'll break out my yankee jokes and show no mercy.
wink.png

Blessings, Kat Who happens to be from NC. I've been transplanted to the beautiful state of Arkansas.

Back
Top Bottom