Help! To modify old coop or not?!?

Thought i'd update you all on our status as of today.

Thanks for the update and all those pictures. You really have a nice setup to upgrade. Most of us wish we had something like that to begin with.

I like the idea of some good primer to paint the inside of the coop. That should block the smell on the wood and lighten up the inside at the same time. If your dirt floor still smells, I'd take out a few inches more off the top. If you get to a point where you don't think you can remove anymore dirt, and the dirt still smells, I think I would try to cover it with some plastic sheeting to lock in the smell, and then put a good layer of sand on top of the plastic. If you have access to free wood chips, I really think they are the best for deep litter bedding. I would throw a nice 4-6 inches of wood chips on top of the sand.

In addition to getting free wood chips at our county landfill, I also have my own wood chippers at home. I got a few green branches from a pine tree I trimmed up and put them through my chipper. I added those pine and pine needle wood chips into the coop and it smelled like a pine forest for a short week. But then the pine smell wore off. Still, it was a nice air freshener. Normally, with a deep litter of wood chips, it should smell like a forest floor. I like that smell.

I have used sand before, but I found that it does not take long before it begins to smell pretty bad and needs to be cleaned out and replaced with clean sand. Sand does not absorb the smell. For me, keeping the sand clean and fresh was a lot of work. I live on a lake, and there is no shortage of sand, but I got tired of having to clean out the sand all the time. In my case, I think I got maybe one week before I had to clean it out and get fresh sand. With the wood chips, I only clean out the coop twice a year and it never smells. But wood chips works better for me where I live. I know other people prefer sand for where they live.

Anyway, love reading about the progress on your coop modifications and look forward to seeing more pictures in the future.

You'll be so pleased with the coop once finished.
I would shovel out more dirt if you aren't making any progress with the smell. With the two sides opened up, I suspect that you will notice a measurable decrease quickly. Consider painting the inside of the coop. The wood will absorb lots of odors. Kilz makes an odor blocking primer. Will help brighten up the interior too.
Thanks!

"In addition to getting free wood chips at our county landfill"
Hi again! I have had some people point out that they would be concerned about mites and other parasites in the free wood chips. This is what our city wood chips look like (mostly oak, pine needles and eucalyptus). What are your thoughts on this?
1619324122986.png

Hi again! I have had some people point out that they would be concerned about mites and other parasites in the free wood chips. This is what our city wood chips look like (mostly oak, pine needles and eucalyptus). What are your thoughts on this?
Another good reason to put the pile aside to age first, before using. It may not get rid of all pests/parasites but there's a number that simply won't survive without having hosts.

What do you consider to be aging? We have about 6 large garden trash cans filled w/the stuff, just waiting to be thrown in.
6 months or more, if you have time for that. It reduces risk of harmful mold growth that can happen with fresh chips, allows some aromatic oils to dissipate, and in this case, can possibly reduce the risk of parasites being brought into the enclosure.

6 months or more, if you have time for that. It reduces risk of harmful mold growth that can happen with fresh chips, allows some aromatic oils to dissipate, and in this case, can possibly reduce the risk of parasites being brought into the enclosure.
Thanks for the quick reply! Well the chicks are 3 weeks old, so 6 months means we will have to find another flooring in the meantime if that's the case. Can they age in the cans or should we dump them out and create a "pile" outside the chicken run area?

Thanks for the quick reply! Well the chicks are 3 weeks old, so 6 months means we will have to find another flooring in the meantime if that's the case. Can they age in the cans or should we dump them out and create a "pile" outside the chicken run area?

You *can* use fresh chips, but I'd suggest skimming chips off the top/surface of the pile (so they're as dried out as possible) and putting down thin layers over time to build it up.

I do piles for chips, everyone around my area does piles. We just get too many chips to store, plus this allows the chips to dry out naturally (surface and then down through the pile) and oils to dissipate.

View attachment 2634136

I don't know why there would be any particular risk of pests in a chopped up tree.

Wild birds in/over/near the coop and run would be a more likely source. :)

What do you consider to be aging? We have about 6 large garden trash cans filled w/the stuff, just waiting to be thrown in.

Spreading it in the open air would probably work better. If you keep it shut up in the cans, and if there is any moisture in it, it is more likely to grow mold, or start rotting in a stinky way.

I would probably just dump it in the coop or run as soon as you can, and spread it around. Actually, if it was me, I'd put a few handfuls in the brooder right now for the chicks to scratch through.

Back
Top Bottom