Help to straighten poor poults toes so she can walk right!

2overeasy

Chirping
9 Years
May 28, 2010
Birchwood, TN
This poult hatched 3-4 days ago. A hen hatched them out and I only saw it occasionally but I knew it was weaker but didn't know why. Thought I would give it some time.
Tonight I took the poults from the hen and brought them in to the brooder (long story, different thread!).
Now I see why it's weak. It's poor little toes on one foot are bent! It runs around like crazy with the rest, but stumbles quite a bit.
Any suggestions on how I can fix it? Some kind of splint, maybe? I refuse to cull until I've done everything I can.

Any and all suggestions will be welcomed. Surely I can make something work! I've gone through too much with these babies just to give up now.

Thank you very, very much.

This poult hatched 3-4 days ago. A hen hatched them out and I only saw it occasionally but I knew it was weaker but didn't know why. Thought I would give it some time.
Tonight I took the poults from the hen and brought them in to the brooder (long story, different thread!).
Now I see why it's weak. It's poor little toes on one foot are bent! It runs around like crazy with the rest, but stumbles quite a bit.
Any suggestions on how I can fix it? Some kind of splint, maybe? I refuse to cull until I've done everything I can.

Any and all suggestions will be welcomed. Surely I can make something work! I've gone through too much with these babies just to give up now.

Thank you very, very much.

All I can suggest is a tape type foot pad...use packing tape...its thicker with a bit less give...I cut out a small circle..spread the toes out properly on the sticky side...make sure the tape circle is big enough to extend slighty beyond toes..cut another one out same size and place over toes..there should be enough space between each toe to press tape together so the toes stay separated. This is a 50/50 shot that it will work...It either does or doesnt depending on how old the chick/poult is...If you caught it early enough it should work..before it is just fused that way...keep replacing tape as needed...good luck

Thank you. I'll be honest with you - I posted my question before I did my research. Shame on me! I usually don't post a question until I've researched here first. So after I posted I started researching and found out how to do it. One poster on another thread posted this link: https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/

It was very helpful. I didn't want to do it last night as it was so late and I wouldn't have been able to watch her for a while to make sure it's okay. So I'm getting ready to tape her up right now.

Thanks again1

Last edited:
Thank you. I'll be honest with you - I posted my question before I did my research. Shame on me! I usually don't post a question until I've researched here first. So after I posted I started researching and found out how to do it. One poster on another thread posted this link: https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/

It was very helpful. I didn't want to do it last night as it was so late and I wouldn't have been able to watch her for a while to make sure it's okay. So I'm getting ready to tape her up right now.

Thanks again1

Was about to refer you to that link. Keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom