Help- Toe ready to fall off

BanditTheCat

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 2, 2012
I have a sick chicken. I noticed it about 5 days ago. At first, the chicken seemed fine, except that part of their middle toe was swollen. After looking online, I figured it was bumble foot. I brought the chicken inside, soaked the foot, cleaned it, and wrapped it up before putting it back outside.

After doing this for a couple days, I noticed that the tip of the toe was cocked in a weird way. When I moved it, it almost seemed like it was partially detached from the swollen part of the toe. We separated the chicken and put her in the garage with another friend. (we don't really have a way of keeping her in the coop) Other then a weird walk because of the wrap on her foot, she seems to act normal (from what I can tell being gone 10 hours a day).

This chicken has always been the runt in the group and I don't have a way of telling whether she has been laying eggs. Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help,

Katie

This is most likely because the swelling has cut off the circulation to that toe. It is just a bunch of dead tissue and flesh, and in a few days, it should just fall off. Make sure that you keep that foot clean, or it can become infected, and that will just add to the trouble. When the toe falls off---if it does---keep a close eye on her to make sure that the other girls don't pick on her, because chances are, they will recognize that she's missing a toe.

I know this because we had a rat that had toes like that from a tumor on it's foot. Her toes just fell off. The same should go for yours. Good luck!

I agree- I don't think you can save it at this point. She will adapt though, as long as the original injury heals up. You might have to keep an eye on her for awhile to make sure it stays healed, once you get it to do so....

I'm not sure if it's bumblefoot or not (is any infection in the foot labled "bumblefoot"?). Anyway... I ran across a great thread here about how to do bumblefoot repair/surgery today that might help repair the original injury, so that the infection can hopefully resolve.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/236649/bumblefoot-surgery-with-pics-and-how-to

Best wishes for speedy recovery!

Well, we ended up removing the dead toe part. The chicken didn't even notice. We cleaned it really well, bandaged it up, and put some electrolytes and antibiotic in the water. She seems to like having the run of the garage. There is also another chicken in there to keep her company.

I will keep updating as she progresses. Thanks for the responses.

well i cant tell you if it is contagious or not but doesnt seem to be at this time but my little banty has been losing her toes! she only has 2 left on each foot told the vet he put her on ampicillan, and said it was bramblefoot, i didnt think so so i took her in,,,the were quite confused and have no clue! but said keep her on the antibiotic as it is probably virus related..... like an invisible piece of twine cutting off circulation.......poor little girl!

Back
Top Bottom