1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

help. too hot.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SLWyandotte, Mar 18, 2011.

1. SLWyandotte

SLWyandotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Chatom, Alabama
    my brooder is outside. half of it is shaded. i cut the heat lamp off about 6 every morning. but my chicks are still getting too hot. they have plenty of water and stay in the shade but they are still panting. they are still lively but what can i do to keep them cool besides buying a fan or something.

on another note. their poop is runny. i am guessing that this is because they are hot and drinking a lot of water. not bloody or anything just watery. is this anything to worry about or is it normal for the conditions.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Maybe some ice in their water??? I don't really know, just a thought. Maybe a splash of gatorade in the water???

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

You did not describe your brooder. Is it a box? a tub? a cage? In other words, does it have solid sides?
    How big is it? How many chicks are in it?

Just guessing, until you provide more details, but brooders need to be HUGE. Chicks need room to get space and run and play.
    The need to have good air circulation, naturally. A chick in nature isn't trapped into a tub. He can walk about and get air. He can snuggle for warmth, if needed but back away if hot. Even at 85 degrees outside, it shouldn't be that hot in the shade. More like 80 which is fine, if they have freedom, air and space.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by