HELP........too many eggs

petlove

Songster
11 Years
Jan 27, 2008
Skiatook, OK
I have 24 hens and they are laying like crazy. I get about 16 to 18 eggs a day. I have advertised on Craig list, work infromation paper, local ag store, and word of mouth. I can't sell them or eat them fast enough. Any suggestions?
barnie.gif

I do give them to friends for no money. I even passed them out to my neighbors to try. People just don't eat eggs that quickly. Also, I make deviled eggs every week and take them to work. Do you have a good recipe for pickled eggs?

Put some in the fridge now and let them sit. As the holidays approach the need for eggs will increase.

Also post a sign at your driveway. "Fresh Eggs Sold Here".

Quote:
How old are your hens? and breed ...

I am having just the opposite problem . MINE don't lay fast enough .

I had bought 30 chicks back in April and still not laying . they are rir's , austrolorps and barred rocks .

I have a total of about 120 in my flock and ONLY about 6 older hens 9 months to a year that are laying . REST are acting like they have no idea HOW to lay LOL ... threatening to either squeeze the eggs out , OR make a huge GUMBO and sell plate lunches ... LOL

HELP !!!!!!!!!!
he.gif
barnie.gif
ep.gif

Last edited:
LOL, I'm going to be in the same boat at you in a month or so! (Or, at least I hope so!) Perhaps the dogs can eat an egg each every other day or so (my dog breeder SisInLaw feeds her dogs an egg every day). You can hard boil and chop up and feed back to the chickens (don't want it to resemble an egg when they see it, though). Do you have a local food bank that you can donate some to? Good luck!

I legally can't sell them since I am not a licensed inspector and I don't feel like becoming one, yet... however, the extention lady said that I can ask for "donations" for the upkeep of the hens. With "donations" though, I cannot ask for any specific amount. I CAN charge for the egg CARTON, though.

Quote:
How old are your hens? and breed ...

I am having just the opposite problem . MINE don't lay fast enough .

I had bought 30 chicks back in April and still not laying . they are rir's , austrolorps and barred rocks .

I have a total of about 120 in my flock and ONLY about 6 older hens 9 months to a year that are laying . REST are acting like they have no idea HOW to lay LOL ... threatening to eithe r squeeze the eggs out , OR make a huge GUMBO and sell plate lunches ... LOL

HELP !!!!!!!!!!
he.gif
barnie.gif
ep.gif

Mine are the same age. I have one roo and he mounts them daily. Maybe that is stimulating their egg laying.
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom