Help !! tried Duramycin 10 ..not helping ,WHAT NOW

littlegip

Songster
10 Years
Jun 7, 2009
Romulus Michigan
sad.png
Hello all i really need some help please ..My issue started 3/4 weeks ago with fowl pocks then they started sounding congestied and runny nose and eyes ,vet on the phone told me to give them duramycin for 7 days i gave it long cuz they were not better stoped it to day because nothing is changeing ,they start to get better now getting sticked all over again
sad.png
there eating and drinking and acting find just sound bad and some of thems yese are so runny there closed ,,i have some Aureomycin powder for water ,not sure if i should try that or what to do ..i'm so worried not vets around me treat chickens and i can't afford it anyway
sad.png
..hoping one of you might be able to help me figure this out .i have 12 girls they are between 6 mons and 4 mons old ..so worrie about them ..thanks for reading .
fl.gif

You are probably dealing with a virus, which is not susceptible to antibiotics, which is why they aren't working. My only solution is to cull in that case due to the carrier nature of the diseases they get. Carrier, if you don't know, means the virus is always in their systems.

If it is a virus, there really is nothing else to try. All you can do is keep them warm and well-hydrated, well-fed, and hope they survive. Nothing will kill a virus. You really should know what you are dealing with and the only way to know is through testing (which requires the bird to be necropsied). If it is one of the many types that stay in their bodies, much like the herpes virus, they will most likely be carriers and you will have to close your flock (none in or out). All that said, let me reiterate that you can't really treat till you know what you are dealing with and no one can accurately diagnose respiratory illness on the net.

i wasent asking for a diagnoses ,i was just asking for some advise from ppl who have had similar problems ..and people ask Q on here about all kids of sickness ,,sorry just wanted some help , you have a nice day

Well, I was trying to help. No need to get angry or dismissive because I didnt tell you what you wanted to hear. Why would you treat with no diagnosis? You would be wasting your time and your money. I told you the truth. Again, I say, antibiotics will not help if you are dealing with a virus, and if you've already dosed them and they are still sick, that is probably the reason. Supportive care is what you do for a bird with a virus and you wait for their immune system to deal with it, if it can. If you do throw more and more antibiotics at a viral infection, all you do is create antibiotic resistance and when you really need them again for a bacterial infection, they may not work. If Duramycin didn't resolve the symptoms, it is most likely viral in nature.

Have you contacted your Agriculture Extension office? Try the Vets there and see if they will take one of your birds for testing, or if they will come and draw blood or do some swabs.

I agree with Speckledhen, without a proper diagnosis just trying this or that has a very low chance of working, and likely will do more harm in the long run.

Sorry you got Pox, it can be difficult to irradiate and the survivors sometimes introduce the disease to any new chickens.

Have you looked down their throats to see if they now have "wet pox?" If they have sores down their throat you can treat the sores with iodine. If you do a search on here there is some more info about that. I have been dealing with a respiratory problem right now, and I have spent about $100 on different antibiotics. It is so tough, and maybe on Monday you could call the state vet's office for some help. They were very helpful for my problem. Good luck!

Quote:
If it's a virus you can just keep them warm and dry, fresh food and water, wipe eyes and nose if they are runny. Good luck!
smile.png

t

Back
Top Bottom