Help - trouble with Brinsea Mini

Katmando

Hatching
7 Years
Feb 12, 2012
Kansas City, MO
I woke up this morning to a high alarm of 106 on my Brinsea mini. I quickly removed the lid and felt the eggs - they didn't feel hot so I reset the incubator but the temp sensor kept fluctuating from 89-100+. I called Brinsea and they thought the sensor was bad but we assumed that it was still heating. Well, now I'm back home and it appears that it is NOT heating! The eggs were 4 days from hatching and now it looks like they most likely started cooling about 9 hours ago. Do I just assume they're goners? I bought a cheap styrofoam incubator at the feed store in desperation, but I suspect it's too late.

Right now I have NOTHING good to say about Brinsea. This was only the 4th time I've used the Mini Advance. Two times in 2014 and once again, 3 weeks ago. Those hatches were flawless, but seriously - crashing on the 4th time. They're happy to have me ship it back and pay to fix it, BTW.

So sick and frustrated right now!

Kathleen

What a shame! But don't give up yet. I've read stories on here of power going out and being out all night or incubators accidently getting unplugged and against all hope hatches happened.
If you can get it up to running temperature and after a day or so go to lockdown, all hopefully will not be lost.
Because of the temperature drop it could take an extra day or two to hatch, and your hatch may not be as large as it could have been, but hopefully some will hatch.
Good luck.

What a shame! But don't give up yet. I've read stories on here of power going out and being out all night or incubators accidently getting unplugged and against all hope hatches happened.
If you can get it up to running temperature and after a day or so go to lockdown, all hopefully will not be lost.
Because of the temperature drop it could take an extra day or two to hatch, and your hatch may not be as large as it could have been, but hopefully some will hatch.
Good luck.
x2. This far into the hatch the little guys and girls are starting to generate some of their own heat, and often people who have had day long power shortages still manage to get decent hatches. So keep the spirits up and hopefully you'll see some babies soon!!!

Get an incandescent bulb set up with a thermometer and get 101 at the top of the eggs.

Once that's set, build a hatcher. A small plastic tub with a piece of acrylic for the lid, and a small lamp inside (25-40 watts should be enough). Use wet towel or sponge. Your hatch should be okay. But act NOW!

Get an incandescent bulb set up with a thermometer and get 101 at the top of the eggs.

Once that's set, build a hatcher. A small plastic tub with a piece of acrylic for the lid, and a small lamp inside (25-40 watts should be enough). Use wet towel or sponge. Your hatch should be okay. But act NOW!
They bought a cheap styro bator.
wink.png

Ah, well... I feel a little better. Fingers crossed. They were supposed to pip on Sunday/Monday. I assume if there's no action by, say... Thursday?... I should give up?

Kathleen

Ah, well... I feel a little better. Fingers crossed. They were supposed to pip on Sunday/Monday. I assume if there's no action by, say... Thursday?... I should give up?
I'd give them a candle and see if there any signs of life to reassure yourself. If there is no action by then, then I would candle one more time before giving up.

Yeah, me too. Hate going back to styrofoam. Thought I was "all that and more!" moving up to Brinsea, but look where THAT got me! Maybe I got a lemon.

I candled this morning, but all I could see was a well-developed, age appropriate air cell. How can I tell? Shells are blue and hard to see through.

Yeah, me too. Hate going back to styrofoam. Thought I was "all that and more!" moving up to Brinsea, but look where THAT got me! Maybe I got a lemon.

I candled this morning, but all I could see was a well-developed, age appropriate air cell. How can I tell? Shells are blue and hard to see through.
Oh..That sucks....those are harder to see anything. Can you make out any veining at all around the air cell. That's usually all I can see in mine. If you can make out any veining at all there's still hope! Well, I'd keep hope regardless since you're this close.

I'm still incubating in a styrofoam!! lol It's a lot more work, but as long as those chicks hatch, I can handle it...lol

Back
Top Bottom