HELP! TRUCKER HUSBAND FOUND A NEST IN HIS TRAILER.

wellssmall farm

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 21, 2008
Milton, Florida
Hi! My husband is a trucker and had picked up a trailer last week. when he was sereval miles down the road he was doing a landing check when he foundthis nest. I told him to wrap nest and eggs up until he got home. He got home Friday eggs made it. but I have no idea what they are. Any help would be appreciated. They are in the incubator right now. I have pictures. [email protected] I can not figure out how to put them on here. They are small blue eggs.

Last edited:
Robins lay small blue eggs, but I am sure other birds do as well. In most states it is actually illegal to incubate wild bird eggs without a permit, so you should contact your department of wildlife right away and ask them what to do.

Ok so what if it is illegal? I can understand following the law but this is too cool. I hope you get to hatch them. Did you candle them?

Tonight I did and two are okay one looks soso. We will see. Wildlife said maybe a robin maybe not and as long as I was going to release them (They know nothing). All they would do is throw the eggs away here because they do not have the equipment. I though about putting them under mother frizzle since she lost her little ones due to a bad storm. She is sitting now on some that are not fertile. I have seen robinds in the birds pen so maybe they will follow lead if they make it and I do not have to much conact them.

I think in the long run they might be better off if your frizzle hatches them, but will she know how to feed them? Mama robins to quite a bit more to feed babies than mama hens. Not to slight a mama hen, by any means, but chicks pretty much figure the whole pecking thing out on their own.

The risk you run of incubating and hatching the wild birds, is that they will bond to you, and may not ever know how to be a wild bird. I thought the department of wildlife may have a way of getting another bird to foster the eggs and incubate them, but if they are just going to throw them away, then I say incubate them, and see how it goes. At least this way they have a chance. Everyone deserves a chance at life.

There are two types of birds precoucius and altruiciouse. chickens are precioucios meaning they can feed them selves from day 1. Robins are alturicious meaning they need there parents to feed them by turning to contents of their crops into the young birds mouths. if these hatch they will need to be hand fed around 8 times a day for a while and you frizzle hen will kill them when they hatch and if she does not kill them they will starve any way. I believe if you find a nest just leave it or throw it away.

Good Luck,
Henry

several years ago we had a cat get into the nest, they were babies at this point. A vet I believe refered us to a wildlife rehabilitator locally, if you ask around maybe you can find someone near by.

A mother hen might could hatch them, but couldn't raise them. I've raised several wild birds. People in the neighborhood bring them to me. I've always had success feeding them, when they are very young, canned cat food that is watered down from a syringe. They graduate to less watered down, over time, from tweezers. You have to be careful and place the food at the back of the throat. Don't give them water, just have it in the food. Its very easy to drown them. You also have to feed them constantly, depending on the bird. It seems as if mocking birds are never full. They need to stay warm and I have found a hot water bottle covered with a towel works best. A have also made a little cage out of two plastic boxes, that makes a great little nest. I wire tied them top to bottom. It fits in a big canvas shopping bag so that I can take them wherever I go for feedings, if I'm going to be out long. Yes, I've taken birds to wal mart, doctor's appt's, grocery shopping and almost anywhere else you can think of.

Its tough to raise them, but rewarding. When they hatch you can email me for more info on raising and releasing.

Back
Top Bottom