HELP! Trying to make PVC waterer TODAY, what glue can I use?

Hatrick

Songster
10 Years
Apr 4, 2009
The guy at the hardware store said that they don't have glue to make the cap stick to the PVC pipe for the waterer that is for potable water. AHH! I need these girls in their coop by Friday and my hubby was going to make the waterer today, but I don't want to poison my girls. What type of glue am I supposed to be using to make this thing? Help ASAP!!
hmm.png

PVC glue is generally two parts first you brush on a primer which softens the plastic and is generally a purple color and then a clear glue.

Not all glues are cleared for drinking use for human consumption, but I wouldn't really worry about it for your chickens. However if you cant find the potable type stuff at the hardware store any plumbing supply place will sell it.

I'll dig up my can of all purpose and see what it says. It is for home plumbing I would think it was potable.

From the can of red all purpose it does not state if it is potable or not. There hare hazardous warnings for it while in the uncured state. This type melts and welds the pvc together to form a solid piece. Once cured it should be safe for humans and chickens I would think.

http://www.oatey.com/Plumber/Shared/ProductGroupDetail/1/All+Purpose+Cement.html

This is the link for the all purpose and yes it is potable

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom